Advocacy

View Only

Ford NGL Academy Format and its affect on theatre programs

• 1.  Ford NGL Academy Format and its affect on theatre programs

Posted 01-29-2022 14:47
    Hello,
    Our district has decided to transition to the "academy" format (Ford Next Generation Learning. I would love to hear both positive and negative experiences from other high school theatre teachers that have experienced a transition to academy format, as well as any advice to protect the integrity of the program. 

Currently, our school has block scheduling with 2 full-time theatre teachers.  In the fall we offer 3 sections of Theatre 1, 1 section of Theatre 2, 1 Advanced Stage Tech and 1 Musical Theatre (production class).  In the spring we offer 3 sections of Theatre 1, 1 section of Theatre 2, 1 Advanced Stage Tech, 1 Advanced Performance (Production class).  The advanced classes are by interview/ audition only during the prior year.  This class-based format has been extremely successful at our school for over 25 years.  

The principal has said that graduation requirements won't change, so our master schedule shouldn't change.  She has also said that students from any academy can take performing arts electives.  My concern is that over time, our numbers will diminish because students will have to meet specific requirements for their academy pathway.  

I would love to hear from others who have experienced this transition and learn about the potential pros and cons of this system overhaul.  Thank you!
    Katie Alley
    katie.alley@knoxschools.org
    beardentheatre.com

------------------------------
    Katie Alley
    Theatre Teacher
    TN
    ------------------------------