Advocacy

View Only

National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

• 1.  National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-09-2014 17:33
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Open Forum and Advocacy .
    -------------------------------------------
    Right! I've got my National Board certification in Young Adolescence/English Literature; now what? 

In a way, one thing that makes me pause and understand why NBPTS does not offer certification in Theatre is that teaching Theatre almost gives one an advantage over other teachers: the core principles of the NBPTS are the bread and butter standard practice of the average theatre teacher. 

What area can we start working on? Can we get a petition going? A letter with a bunch of signatories from our membership at EdTA? 

Maybe a blog or editorial on how vital Theatre education is, and how particularly skilled the theatre educator should be, and how nice it would be to validate that rather than hide them out the back in shame? Theatre teachers are some of the smartest, most forward thinking and innovative educators I know! 

What else can we do to move forward? I'm ready; who's with me? Let's get something moving before the end of 2014!

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 2.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-09-2014 17:35
    I love this idea;
    I am sick and tired of the second class citizenship of
    theatre teachers.

No matter where you go, there you are!

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Phillip Goodchild via Educational Theatre

• 3.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-10-2014 09:56

As theatre educators continue to seek professional validation for their skills and knowledge, one of the strategies that has been of interest for many years is National Board Certification. National Board Certification (NBC), administered by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS), is a voluntary, advanced teaching credential that goes beyond state licensure. NBC has national standards for what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do in their field. The National Board certifies teachers who successfully complete its rigorous certification process.

EdTA recently completed a survey of adult membership about their interest in NBC for theatre educators. Nearly 1,200 adult members responded. Here are some fundamental numbers on what they had to say:

• 79 percent said they would seek Board certification in theatre if it was available.

• 65 percent were familiar with the NBC program.

• 55 percent said they were aware of other Board certified teachers in their school or district.

• 52 percent said they taught another subject area.

• 15 percent of those who teach other subject areas said they were Board certified in that area.

And here are some short, representative samples of responses to this survey question:

What would you perceive as the value of being a National Board certified theatre educator?
    It shows a level of commitment to your craft, not only as a teacher, but as an expert in your subject area. It would make a teacher more marketable to prospective employers and create a dialogue with current administrators about what exactly a great theatre teacher should know and what they do in the classroom.

More job security and a better education for the students.

It would separate me from non-theater teachers/English teachers who are teaching Theater without the expertise. It would also legitimize the program for my graduates who are pursuing theater in school or in the industry after high school.

None whatsoever.  Many English teachers, and teachers of other subjects for that matter, make fine theater teachers.  Professional actors with lots of experience but no education credentials can be the best of all.  Let's try to get the educational bureaucracy out of theater.  They bring nothing to the table but expensive requirements for bogus classwork.

Validation that theatre is an important area of the curriculum.

My sister became a Board certified teacher and then could not get a job.  She was too expensive and "too" qualified.  I thought the value was to open a state license to a national license and allow teachers to move more easily.

There would be an additional differentiation for those who simply major in English and teach theatre with the English credential and those of us who double major (English and theatre) and get Board certified. I see this as being of help to administrators during the hiring process. Also, the extra pay would be great!

Board certification in theatre elevates the art of theatre to a level equal to that of the "core" subjects and would encourage administrators to take the arts seriously. Having already begun implementing the National Core Arts Standards in my classroom it would be beneficial to be recognized as meeting those standards. Students would benefit from a curriculum that aligns with a specific framework with measurable growth standards and a teacher who is competent in delivering that curriculum.

So the survey indicates overwhelming interest in the creation of a theatre educator NBC option for a variety of reasons, though there is some disagreement of its value. There are a couple of other things that are worth bearing in mind about Board certification:

1. While Board certification is recognized in most states, making it easier to teach in another state, it is only a supplement to a state teaching credential. Board certified teachers are still required to earn their state teaching credential before being legally allowed to teaching in a public school system.

2. The NBPTS has been in existence for less than thirty years (they were founded in 1987); since that time they have established certification in twenty-five subject areas (divided, generally, by two grade bands). Among those subject areas is visual art and, beginning in 2015-16, music. World languages are scheduled to be added in 2016-17. It is a multi-year process to earn that status.

3. There are more than 100,000 Board certified educators throughout the country; however the financial compensation they receive is inconsistent and, in some instance, at risk in our current economic climate. Some states have in fact eliminated stipends for Board certified teachers (Ohio, for example, did so in 2009).

In balance, it would seem that there is much to gain by achieving Board certification for theatre educators. While the ease of state teaching transfer, financial incentive, and associated professional development are all factors, ultimately what such a distinction offers our field is affirmation that the Board certified theatre educator is a master teacher with deep knowledge and skill in a subject area featuring a rich and varied content that is as rigorous as any other subject area. And that, I think, is validation that is long overdue for theatre teachers.

Towards that end, EdTA will begin a coordinated effort to move towards this goal, beginning with formal meetings with NBPTS staff, and creating member focus groups to further explore the issue. In the meantime, I would encourage all to engage in further dialogue on Board certification in our Community pages. We need your voices.

James Palmarini
    Director of Educational Policy
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE:National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-11-2014 01:12
    Thank you, Jim, for the thorough response. I, for one, look forward to the day when theatre educators have the option to pursue National Board certification.

Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-15-2014 15:55
    I called NBPTS today and inquired about theatre certification.

I was told to email.

I did so.  And received a prompt response.

Here was my question: 

SUBJECT: Theatre certification
    Are there plans to add a certification for theatre akin to those for music, art, PE, and world languages?
    If so, when can we expect it will be rolled out?
    If not, why is theatre as a subject being excluded?

Here was the answer I got:  

Hello Ryan,

New certificates are based on demand, and we are not aware that NBPTS is considering a unique Theatre Certification at this time. The certificate EAYA/Career and Technical Education (CTE) has a specialty area for Arts and Communications, which does include fine and performing arts--music, visual art, dance, creative writing, and theatre. However, this is a very broad certificate and you would want to read the National Board Standards thoroughly before making this selection. Due to the ongoing revision of this certificate, candidates for the CTE certificate will not begin the new process until 2015-2016. Depending on the focus of your curriculum, you might also consider English Language Arts. A good starting point would be the document Choosing the Right Certificate Area(www.boardcertifiedteachers.org/first-time-candidates).

Best regards,

Dan

National Board Customer Support

1-800-22TEACH (1-800-228-3224)

The question I sent back was this:

How do you determine and define demand?

No response yet.

I know there a lot of EdTA folks who are way wiser than I am about this, so I'll put it to them?  How does NBPTS determine and define "demand."

I feel like one can only go so far as a layman picking up the phone since all of the available numbers I can find seems to be candidate support (Pearson Company), and there's a lot of distancing language I notice (e.g. customer support Dan's use of "we are not aware that the NBPTS..") signaling that the people we can access aren't the decision-makers.

From someone who understands it more, what is the relationship between NBPTS and the Pearson corp.?

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 6.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-16-2014 07:17
    Ryan, 

Thanks for sharing your query and response with the NBPTS; their answer was what I would expect at this juncture. We will, as an organization, be apprising them of the "demand" that you ask of, based on the survey of membership we recently conducted, data focusing on student participation, numbers of certified theatre educators (state by state), and the percentages of schools that have theatre programs and their courses. This is not a simple or speedy process and I would urge patience. Our first step is to conduct one-on-one meetings with NBPTS, which I will be doing in early 2015.  I'm not suggesting that contacting customer service is a futile process, but it has does have a limited threshold of value.

Regarding the relationship of Pearson and NBPTS, given their far-reaching role in the delivery of education contact, Pearson has a close working relationship with many non-profits whose mission is focused on the field and its educators.  

James Palmarini
    Director of Educational Policy
    Cincinnati OH

• 7.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-17-2014 08:49
    Jim, I knew my little crusade was futile...in fact I've been through through those exact motions years ago.  But, since this topic has cropped up again (as it does from time to time), I wanted to give it another go.

Incidentally, I also emailed the two people in my state listed as the state contacts for NBPTS per their website.

Here's what I wrote 

I am writing because you are listed as state contacts for NBPTS certification on NBPTS's website.
    I am a middle school theatre teacher of 15 plus years in MI.  Presently, NBPTS does not certify theatre teachers as theatre teachers.  This despite doing so for other traditional electives (e.g. music, PE, art, and word languages).  I am curious as to what steps would be required to rectify this problem.  I have called/emailed the customer support numbers/addresses listed on NBPTS's website, but I have only managed to reach Pearson employees who have either encouraged me to explore the Career and Technical Education route (not the proper route for me, I have determined) or said they don't know.
    Thank you for your advice.

Here was the response, for those who are curious:

Unfortunately, Ryan, I do not have much impact on the actual National Board process or the areas for which they develop programs.  That being said, I believe the answers provided by their customer service staff are pretty accurate.  They don't have a theatre certificate and probably won't in the near future because there isn't a high need for it.  They are incredibly time consuming and expensive to develop and vet.  Right now they are in the middle of the rollout for their new assessment redesign and focusing on those areas that have high volume.  To be honest, it is very rare for a theatre teacher to only teach that subject, especially in Michigan.  Michigan doesn't even offer an endorsement for theatre anymore because universities couldn't support the ongoing development and sustain an approved program.  

So as they indicated to you at NBPTS, those who are looking for an area to expand their professional development in theatre often explore the Career and Technical Certificate because it provides a specific English language arts path that can work for drama/theatre.  The decision is clearly up to you about whether you can see yourself in those standards.  NBPTS just completely revising the CTE standards and is very unlikely that you have seen their newest version.  They were approved by their Board of Directors in November and aren't yet posted on the website. 

Feel free to continue to contact NBPTS directly or reach out to theDirector of Standards, Kristin Hamilton (khamilton@nbpts.org).

Krista D. Ried

Supervisor of Professional Educator Certification Services

Office of Professional Preparation Services

Michigan Department of Education

608 W. Allegan St

P.O. Box 30008

Lansing, MI 48909

517-373-6791

riedk@mi.gov

www.michigan.gov/teachercert (Certification Information) 

www.michigan.gov/mde-hq (Highly Qualified Information)

fax: 517-373-0542

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 8.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-18-2014 15:07
    Ok, here's an outside of the box proposal.  Maybe so out side the box that its off the ship and drifting in the ocean.  In Missouri a huge backlash is developing against the educational testing companies and profiteering that many view as going on in the 'industry.'  Many even question whether there should BE an industry in this field. 

What if EdTA was to partner with NASBE, NASSP or others in developing rigorous certification standards for teachers of theatre.  Certainly we could do that with relatively little effort?  Could we get school districts to accept that as 'national certification' and save lots of people lots of money while at the same time getting support for the action from a whole segment of society that has been, up to now, opposed to national education efforts? 

The key factor that would win that support would be that nonprofit organizations made up of actual people in the trenches across the nation are developing these requirements and certifications rather than some profit-driven company which has little or no experience in the field. 

So, how radical and impractical is this idea?  Or is there a possible path to a solution here?  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Ben Martin
    Past Board Of Trustees
    Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education
    Lee's Summit MO

• 9.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-19-2014 07:03
    In Colorado we already have an exam for teachers to be considered "highly qualified" administered by Colo. dept. of Ed. Is that the kind of thing you are thinking of? Or do you mean a test for kids? ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-19-2014 09:24
    That has been my sentiment for years.  These Testing companies are only in it for the money.  Anything that is not profitable is rejected.  The problem is the testing companies have the administrators and school boards convinced that they are an imperative in education.  Convincing local admins might be a challenge, but I would support the efforts.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 11.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 12-19-2014 10:40
    Ben, I admire your thinking (and your moxy!) and maybe there's something to your thinking.  And maybe it's not "either/or."  Maybe there's a middle path where both solutions are pursued.

Regardless, I would hate to see EdTA and its allies abandon pursuing NB certification for theatre as a subject, mainly because...I don't want to see theatre's value diminished on the national or local stage.  For instance, I talked to my district's union president this week about the issue.  She maintains that the district is required to explore merit pay per legislation (not sure if she was referring to State or federal legislation or some confluence of both) and she, for one, is pushing the district to adopt National Board certification as one (if not the primary) road to merit pay.  I can respect her thinking in many ways.  This is somewhat speculative, but what I imagine her point of view to be is this: if we must adopt a form of merit pay, wouldn't it be better to tie that pay to what is (according to my anecdotal evidence) a fulfilling (if rigorous) exploratory experience for teachers than to tie it to standardized test scores (also problematic for us theatre teachers).

(Background: I teach in Michigan where, presently, it is relatively rare for teachers to have NB certified status.  The NBPTS website says fewer than 400 of us, I think, have that credential (compared to tens of thousands in other States).  Based on these numbers I have to surmise that other states have greater and more widely implemented incentives and supports for teachers seeking NB certification.)

If my district is considering this path, surely others are, locally and far-flung.  an alternative credential may be a hard sell in many districts.  And so, many of us will be left out of these coming financial incentives (as surely as many theatre teachers are presently denied them in districts and states that now incentivize the credential).

Honestly, though, the financial self-interest is only part of my worry.  It's the LEGITIMACY of theatre in the eyes of administrators.  Don't you think that when administrators are looking which program to cut and the music teacher has national board certification, and so do the PE teachers and art teacher and World Language teachers.....not, obviously, that I want to see any of my colleagues' important programs slashed, but I'll sure as heck not sit silently while my program is disadvantaged in these dangerous times.  

If Theatre is legitimate enough to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the other arts in the establishment of these great new standards, if it is important enough to be defined as "core," by the federal and State governments (it is), then it deserves the same consideration by NBPTS.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 12.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 01-09-2015 11:21

Happy new year all.

Just as a follow-up to the conversation we were having before the winter break, I received another correspondence from the National Board.

I had asked how they defined "demand" for a particular certification.  Here's what I got back. 

Hello Ryan,

Demand is determined by psychometricians and we do not have exact numbers, but it would take hundreds of candidates for a guaranteed number of years. We wish you the best.

Best regards,

Carol

National Board Customer Support

nbptscandidatesupport@pearson.com

1-800-22TEACH (1-800-228-3224)

Hundreds of candiates, eh?  Do we take the dare?

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 13.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 01-09-2015 11:45

I likes me a challenge. How many members do we have?

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 14.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 01-09-2015 11:47

Just looked up. 1,200 respondents, 79% said they would pursue if offered...that makes 948 people. Just shy of a thousand.

Would that be enough?

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 15.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 01-12-2015 11:09

With 948 in the immediate let's say- 5 years it seems inevitable that other organizations for Theatre Educators would follow suit. If one were to take into account the number of theatre educators in one state alone and assumed that roughly a quarter of them would be willing to pursue board certification I can't imagine it would not be feasible.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools
    New Kent VA

• 16.  RE: National Board Certification for Theatre Teachers?

Posted 04-20-2015 12:22

Regarding interest in National Board certification for theatre educators,

I hope you'll consider attending our one-hour EdTA Town Hall webinar on April 21, at 7 p.m. EST with staff members of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). 

EdTA has been engaging in an ongoing dialogue with the Board's leadership, educating them about our membership and the high level of interest in national certification for theatre educators. We'll be joined by NBPTS staff members: Kristin Hamilton, Director of Standards and Michaela Miller, Director of Outreach and Engagement. EdTA Executive Director Julie Woffington will also participate, and I will moderate. If you have a question you would like asked during the webinar, please post it in the EdTA Community discussion thread focusing on the NBPTS, or send it to jpalmarini@schooltheatre.org.

For an introduction to National Board, see the Community blog posted by HamiltonAttendance will be limited to the first 100 individuals who sign into the webinar. If you can't attend, the session will be recorded and made available for review and further Community comment.

Thank you for all that you do,