Advocacy

View Only

Arts Advocacy Day - Hawkins Award Essay

• 1.  Arts Advocacy Day - Hawkins Award Essay

Posted 02-22-2016 10:09
    I am excited to be attending my first Arts Advocacy Day in Washington, DC in a couple of weeks. As one of the winners of the Hawkins Award grant, I have been asked to share the essay I submitted.  I hope all of us will take the time to make our voices heard by those who make the decisions that affect not only arts education today, but future generations as well.

“I’m not very political.” I do not know how many times I have said that in my life, and it is a true statement, but perhaps it is time that I was. I was inducted as a Thespian, Troupe 20, in 1981 the day before I graduated from high school. My small school - I graduated in a class of ninety-nine - did not offer any theatre classes when I was a student. We produced one play a year, and in four years I had five different directors. And yet, theatre touched my heart and soul enough to convince me to be a theatre teacher so I could offer more to students than I experienced. Since that day that I was inducted as a Thespian, the day before I graduated high school, I have touched the lives of thousands of students by providing them opportunities that I never had. I have seen over and over the effect the arts have on young people and how their lives are enriched.

Not only do the arts expand the cultural knowledge of performer, technician, and audience member alike, it also makes the world a better place in so many ways. I have dedicated my life to provide opportunities to students, but “I am not very political” so I have avoided that aspect. After teaching theatre in four different states and directing over one hundred twenty productions, perhaps it is time for me to learn how to teach the value of the arts those who have the power.

Like a first-time performer, my first time “treading the boards” at the Arts Advocacy Day will initially benefit me more than those around me. But like that first-time performer, I will learn much and then be in a position to share what I have learned with others. Annie Sullivan in The Miracle Workerdid not know how to teach Helen Keller, but that did not stop her from trying. She made mistakes, but she also found success. Later in life, Helen wrote, “I cannot remember how I felt when the lights went out of my eyes. I suppose I thought it was always night, and perhaps I wondered why the day did not come.” I feel that those who make decisions about the arts know the country is in the dark, but wonder where the light is. It is my responsibility to bring that light, the power of the arts, to show the dawn that arts education will bring. Everyone who knows the value of the arts have a responsibility to bring that light to others.

Annie Sullivan knew Helen Keller needed language to open her mind and heart just as we know the arts are needed to open the minds and hearts of our country. By attending Arts Advocacy Day, I hope to gain the tools I need to do my part to make a difference in Indiana for both students and colleagues. “No, I’m not very political, but it is time that I start.”

------------------------------
    Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN
    ------------------------------