Advocacy

View Only
  • 1.  State Theatre Teacher licensure

Posted 07-07-2015 00:38

What states require theatre teachers to have an actual theatre teacher license or endorsement?

If your state has a requirement, how long has it been in place? What keeps the requirement from being eliminated? How does it help your state theatre teachers in terms of strength and unity, job security, legitimacy, etc.?

If your state does not, did it before? If so, when did it go away and why? If it never did, is there any movement with getting one in place?

I'm curious since I believe all states require art and music educators to hold a license. I think theatre is poised to make some changes in that direction, and then we need to help our partners in dance with theirs.

Just curious how we can advocate for equitable licensure.

------------------------------
    Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director

Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 2.  RE: State Theatre Teacher licensure

Posted 07-07-2015 11:33
    HelloJo,
    The State of Illinois has no cetificate in Theatre. The only way I was able to teach theatre was to have a double major. One in English which is how I was certified and another major in Speech Theatre with a minor in Secondary Education.

Maria Boundas Bakalis, Ed. D

mapi2581@aol.com

• 3.  RE: State Theatre Teacher licensure

Posted 07-08-2015 09:28

Rhode Island has a Theatre certification.  That being said, there are teachers in this state who are teaching theatre without the certification.  The state is not too diligent when it comes to enforcement.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 4.  RE: State Theatre Teacher licensure

Posted 07-08-2015 09:57

Hello, Jo--The webpage noted below will help you with the nationwide comparison of arts education and teacher licensure, although it is not specific to theatre teachers.  Still you may find it a bit surprising.

http://www.aep-arts.org/wp-content/uploads/State-of-the-States-2015.pdf

Missouri has had licensure in speech/theatre for at least 50 years.  There have been a couple of moves to separate from speech, but since most theatre teachers also teach speech courses that has never been successful.  The actual requirements for a Missouri license in speech/theatre may be found at

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/5csr/5c20-400.pdf

The relevant information will be on page 49 near the bottom of the third column.

I hope that helps.

Ben

Ben Martin
    Past Board Of Trustees
    Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education
    Lee's Summit MO

• 5.  RE: State Theatre Teacher licensure

Posted 11-05-2016 11:34

In Georgia, teachers must have either a Certificate in Theatre or a Certificate in Language Arts.  My experience with my colleagues is that the area of certification is about 50/50.  The catch is that a teacher certified in Language Arts can teach theatre but not the other way around.  Having a certificate in Language Arts could help a teacher weather the storm if a theatre program was cut from a school.  My certificate is in Language Arts 6-12.   When I began teaching 15 years ago, my course load was half and half.  For the past 10 years, I have only taught theater, but it is nice to know I have another option.  FYI - my M.A. is in English Language and Composition, and I had a minor in Theater Performance as an undergraduate.

Gary Hicks
    Atlanta GA