Advocacy

View Only
  • 1.  Benefits of a Technical Theatre Education...research?

Posted 04-20-2015 11:21
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Advocacy and Open Forum .
    -------------------------------------------

Greetings from sunny Ruskin!

I've found the relevant and persuasive research on how theatre arts education is vital, useful, high SAT scores, etc. blah yadda, but I was trying to find similar facts, figures and/or statistics about the benefits of a quality technical theatre education. I am attempting to write a grant to purchase a costly item that would benefit my teaching praxis and thoroughly enrich my students by giving them a much higher quality technical theatre education. After my first year of teaching tech theatre, I have learned a heck of a lot, but I'm still close to a zero state in terms of overall competence and confidence in teaching it, but I know I want to get better at it and give my students even more opportunities than performance.

So, any research/facts/figures about technical theatre education benefits? I have also tried to contact USITT for some information, but I'd love to hear anything else that anyone has to offer.

Thanks again!

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 2.  RE: Benefits of a Technical Theatre Education...research?

Posted 04-20-2015 11:44
    Although I can't name a specific source (let me think on that), seems like all the buzz around STEM shifting STEAM (i.e. integrating arts into the sciences) has to be helpful for making your case for a grant at present.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 3.  RE: Benefits of a Technical Theatre Education...research?

Posted 04-21-2015 09:22
    One thing that has worked for me is to tie it directly to career and technical education. When I mentioned that to our CTE director in the State Department of Education she became very interested in the idea of tech theatre as a direct to work career and technical education program. She had never considered that connection before. She had always thought of theatre arts as an elective and as art for arts sake. ------------------------------ Ben Martin Past Board Of Trustees Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education Lee's Summit MO ------------------------------