Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Troubleshooting Some Rehearsal Challenges

Posted 01-05-2022 10:55
    Hi and Happy New Year to all. I have two challenges that I'm hoping someone may have good suggestions for.

1. I'm working with college students on a play that opens on January 21. I have two actors (out of six) who have tested positive for Covid. One, who was diagnosed earlier, is returning to rehearsal this evening. The other has to be out until next Wednesday. I've tried to rehearse the four cast members in person with the other two on zoom. Of course, it's awkward. Pacing is lost, audibility is lost, etc. I do have a stage manager and assistant stage manager who could walk through the roles of any missing actor. At least the other actors will feel like they're in a "real" rehearsal. But I'd still like for the missing actor(s) to get some rehearsal time as well.

2. My second challenge is that I have a  leading actor who doesn't yet know all of his lines. I don't have time in rehearsal for him to learn them. I've reached out to him, offering him time to help him learn lines, but he has refused, stating that he can get the lines by himself. He does have the bulk of the lines in the play, and the play is very talkative.

I feel that the process we now have is not productive. It's hard to make directing comments in these circumstances. Given the remaining time for rehearsing, I'm not sure how to proceed to get everybody on track. We are rehearsing for 3 hours Sunday through Thursday.

If anyone has suggestions, I'll gladly take them. Thanks. 

Stan Coleman (he/his)                             
    494 West 10th Avenue                              Happy Holidays
    Apt. 406
    Eugene, OR 97401
    Mobile: 541-300-9600

"When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him." 
    Bayard Rustin  

• 2.  RE: Troubleshooting Some Rehearsal Challenges

Posted 01-06-2022 08:59
    So, tough situation.  

1)  Covid situation:  I don't really have a real solution for this.  I think keep the actors who are at home on Zoom--at least they are there and are part of the rehearsal and have people walk the roles.  It's not the same, but they are still working together.  I would try to add a few more rehearsals when they are all back together to get the ensemble feel right.

2)  The actor not learning his lines.  There's a couple ways I've handled it, and it may depend on your relationship with your cast.  Option 1:  Tell him he's being recast.  Get one of your stage managers to do the part.  However, if you choose this method, you have to follow through.  If you tell him, and then say "If you are not off book by this date" and he isn't, you have to recast him.  If you don't, everyone will realize it is an idle threat and you will lose authority.  If you have to, do it yourself if it's possible.  Option 2:  This is the one I usually go with.  If the show is not proceeding as it should and we are in danger of being unprepared for opening, I will spend a rehearsal watching the train wreck that is happening in front of me.  If it gets to painful, I stop rehearsal, thank them, tell them you hope to see something better tomorrow and walk out.  No explanations, just walk out.  Be overly dramatic, play the drama queen card.  Most casts realize the impending problem and will pull together to get it done.  the rehearsal after is usually much better.

Finally, you need to decide how important it is that this guy knows his lines.  If it's the straw that breaks the camel's back, if he's not ready, cancel the show, if that's an option.  Make it clear that it is being cancelled because of him.  You may want to hint at that possibility to the cast as well--peer pressure can work wonders, especially if students in the cast really do care about the show.  You can hide lines around the set and give him a prop book to help him, if that's appropriate, but it's always obvious and looks terrible, in my opinion, unless it's made clear that a stage manager or someone is going on for them-letting the audience know this is a last minute change.  That's my 2 cents.

------------------------------
    Marie Miguel
    Chespeake, VA
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Troubleshooting Some Rehearsal Challenges

Posted 01-06-2022 12:14
    Thank you, Marie, for your suggestions. Some I've already tried. But you've given me some good options to consider.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Stan Coleman (he/his)                             
    494 West 10th Avenue                             
    Apt. 406
    Eugene, OR 97401
    Mobile: 541-300-9600

"When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him." 
    Bayard Rustin