Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pre-Show/Series of Short One Acts

Posted 09-23-2021 12:38
    I am faced with the wonderful problem of a huge and growing Drama Club in my high school.  Has anyone ever done a separate show (pre-show) concept of a series of shorter scenes or one-acts for underclassmen who don't get a big part in the primary production?  I am thinking we could present this on Thursday night to precede the main event on Friday and Saturday.  Maybe this is a horrible idea.  I'm just not sure I have the time to do two full-bore shows this year, but that is probably the direction we are heading.  I sure hope this makes sense.  Any suggestions are certainly welcome.  Thanks.

------------------------------
    K Lang

• 2.  RE: Pre-Show/Series of Short One Acts

Posted 09-23-2021 14:15
    We did "six ft scenes" from Theatre Folk last spring for a small production.
    The scenes are really good and could work for something like this... check it out!

https://www.theatrefolk.com/products/6ft-scenes

I would think you could get permission to perform the ones you would like to...

Erika

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan High School

• 3.  RE: Pre-Show/Series of Short One Acts

Posted 09-24-2021 03:20
    It's not a bad idea at all. Several of my now-published plays actually began as curtain-raisers from back when I was teaching and had too many students audition for the "main show." It allowed me to keep more students plugged into the program, and several of them went on to become mainstays of my future seasons.

If you don't feel you have the time to direct them yourself, something short could present an opportunity for a trusted assistant director to step into the director's shoes; you could then just come in on occasion to offer feedback and make sure whatever is being presented meets your standards. I recommend picking a show (or shows) that would fit with the rest of the evening, so moving from one play to another doesn't feel too disjointed. Break legs!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Playwright/Managing Partner of YouthPLAYS
    Los Angeles, CA

• 4.  RE: Pre-Show/Series of Short One Acts

Posted 09-24-2021 05:41
    We a short 20 minute student written spoof of Sherlock Holmes and his detective daughter before our main production of a Sherlock Holmes play. It gave the new kids lots of experience and kept them involved in the program. Nearly all were cast in the next production.

• 5.  RE: Pre-Show/Series of Short One Acts

Posted 09-24-2021 08:53
    That is exciting! I had a sudden large group this year, and we are doing "A Simpler Time" as our show, which is a Playscripts collection. However, it is made of 9 one-acts that can stand alone or be performed together, and you can purchase them individually if you want. They can be read for free on their website. They are comedies set in different time periods throughout history, and they work well with younger students. I've got 51 kids in the cast, and they all love the short plays!
    Laura

Laura Butchy
    BASIS Independent McLean
    VA

• 6.  RE: Pre-Show/Series of Short One Acts

Posted 01-15-2022 23:43
    Hello!  I just posted almost the exact same forum question as I have the same problem. I'm curious if you have found a solution to managing your growing theatre program while still giving students quality opportunities. I was thinking of doing a one-act "warm up" before a main play as well, but will I get caught into having to do that all the time whenever I want to do a small to medium sized cast show?

Would love to dialogue as your time allows,
    Julie Hanisch
    Mukwonago, WI

Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher
    Mukwonago High School
    WI

• 7.  RE: Pre-Show/Series of Short One Acts

Posted 01-16-2022 09:04
    Hi, Julie.  For this year, I decided to write my own script.  The process has been taxing but I had a good idea, pitched it to the kids, and we workshopped some scenes.  They loved it and felt it was far superior to other published plays we had perused.  Now maybe they are just flattering their teacher, but they are brutally honest so I dont think so.  The only challenge is now I have to finish writing it!  Next year, though. We are going to have to do two separate productions to accommodate everyone.  What a great problem to have, right?  When I have time I'll check out your other post.  Best.

K Lang