Open Forum

View Only

Wednesday’s Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

• 1.  Wednesday’s Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

Posted 01-26-2022 14:46

My thought for this time in educational Theatre turns to possibilities of performance in alternative spaces with or without spectacles. 

“Give me for trestles, four boards, two actors, and a passion.” Lope De Vega, playwright 
    Whether it is a couple of students performing children’s stories in the local elementary school classroom either on a video or in person, Theatre students create the magic of Theatre with 2 chairs and a few homemade props. 

it might be an individual student acting out the principles presented in a middle or high school Science class or becoming Alexander Hamilton and performing a monologue or song in a History class-once again on video or in person. 

It could be Theatre students performing a dramatized cutting from middle school  English curriculum in the middle school classroom. Perhaps volunteering to mount a historical version of the town history for the City Council in their chambers; working with elementary school teachers who collect writings from their students and your middle/high school students adapt the writings and then performing for an elementary school audience, then awarding Writer Award certificate to the elementary writer, the ideas are limitless for creating Theatre magic in various environments. 

I would love hear your innovations for performing in alternative spaces. 

This is an ongoing series Wednesday’s Wisdom from EdTA Sages. Emeritus, retired Theatre educators, if you would like to join us in scheduling some postings, please contact Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net or Reply to Sender. 

------------------------------
    Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gaijones2013@gmail.com
    www.gaijones.com
    ------------------------------