Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

Posted 01-11-2022 14:47

Happy Wednesday. During this complex time in our profession, I am thinking kindly of each EdTA member and how to reach out with some "help."  In this respect, I have invited some Emeritus members of EdTA to share "Wednesday's Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages." Each Wednesday and any time the inspiration occurs, an Emeritus member has been invited to post some positive, practical, inspirational ideas that might help our adult members during this challenging time in education and beyond..  

The First Posting on January 12, 2022 * From Gai Laing Jones--In my 50 years' experience of teaching Theatre to pre-K-Senior citizens, and currently Field Supervising pre-service Theatre education candidates at CSUEB, I have discovered some truths about our profession:

We know that we are usually the first car in the school's parking lot and the last to leave; that we honor our working relationships with Administrative Assistants and Plant Managers; that students need to learn to spell the words "rehearsal (contains the word rehear )" theatre (with an "re" or "er" and when each spelling is appropriate), that there is an art to complimenting students and their work that encourage SEL; that we as educators need to make time for ourselves; that we need to educate adults and students about using copyrighted material.

LIFE SKILLS *For today's "Wednesday's Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages," I think about incorporating life skills and "off stage life" in each lesson and event. Listening with empathy, learning to communicate respectively, working toward and living your passion, taking care of your personal tools of voice, body, imagination, mind, feelings and health. Theatre offers many, many life skills; sometimes we need to remind ourselves, students, parents, administrators that we do more than "just put on plays."

Hope that you can respond to the various Sages who have retired from day-to-day classroom duties and now have time to pursue mentoring and other ways to contribute to our profession and reach out to our EdTA hardworking members, "Wednesday Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages." Let us know if something which we post resonates with you. 

Community Members, please feel free to post a bit of wisdom which your mentor or you have developed-something that might help others.

To various EdTA Emeritus Sages, if you would like to contribute to this wealth of wisdom, please email gai.jones@sbcglobal.net to schedule your involvement.  

------------------------------
    Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gaijones2013@gmail.com
    www.gaijones.com

• 2.  RE: Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

Posted 01-11-2022 14:58
    Well written Gai!

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

Posted 01-12-2022 06:19

I appreciate you taking the time to help put this together and for your post. I only have a couple of years under my belt and THESE words of wisdom will be something that I look forward to and will glean from! 

Thank you!

Molly Busby
    Theatre Instructor
    Teague Middle School
    FL

• 4.  RE: Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

Posted 01-12-2022 06:52

Thank you Gai for this wonderful and well-timed idea and contribution!

Peace and blessings,

t

Mrs. Tamara J. Plasterer

Director of Fine Arts

Padua Franciscan HS

Parma, OH

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 5.  RE: Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

Posted 01-12-2022 10:15
    Thank you, Gai!

As someone with 30 + years of experience teaching, performing, and directing, I find that I have to continually prove myself with every contract renewal. "They" need to be reminded that we do "more than just put on plays," really resonated with me. I am now writing a course proposal to teach a theater class in an institution I have worked and taught/directed in for 16 years. I will be sharing your words of wisdom.

Jen

[Jen] [Jordan]
    [Director of Theater and Dance]
    [Junior Class and Day Student Advisor]
    [Miss Hall's School]
    [Pittsfield] [MA]

• 6.  RE: Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages

Posted 01-12-2022 11:01

Great to hear that some brief words of experience might be valuable. I know that what you and other Theatre educators are doing make a positive difference in students' lives. I honor and respect your influence in our profession.
      Gai Laing Jones
    Past President of Educational Theatre Association (EdTA), National Board Member of Educational Theatre Foundation (ETF), CETA Executive Board-VP Membership, DTASC Advocacy Director, SAG/AFTRA Member

RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com 
     BREAK A LEG,  A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com  
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES:  ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon 
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator
    www.gaijones.com