Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Metamorphoses Myrrah Myth

Posted 01-05-2022 18:32

Hello,
    For any of you that have produced Scenes from Metamorphoses by Mary Zimmerman and opted to cut the Myrrah myth, were you able to keep the Vertunmus and Pomona myth?

Thank you,
    Katie Alley 

------------------------------
    Katie Alley
    Theatre Teacher
    TN

• 2.  RE: Metamorphoses Myrrah Myth

Posted 01-06-2022 08:22
    I just directed METAMORPHOSES this fall and am traveling with it to our state festival as a Mainstage. I kept the full show in tact. I'll admit, the Myrrah myth was the part I was most worried about as well, but I had a good discussion with my cast about how it's is an extreme cautionary tale (and thematically in-line with much of Greek Tragedy). They handled the material with great maturity. I staged the scene like a simple and repetitive fluid dance/lift and it worked very well. It's so well-written, and this section of the play is quite brilliant, especially if you have a funny Vertumnus to juxtapose the intensity of Myrrah's story.  I've seen several other high school productions of METAMORPHOSES, all of whom kept the scene in as well. I'm rooting for you!!

Lindsay M. Warfield
    Executive Director/ Chapter Director
    Florida Thespians 

• 3.  RE: Metamorphoses Myrrah Myth

Posted 01-06-2022 09:59
    Yes, we cut Myrrah (with permission from the publisher) but kept Vertumnus and Pomona. I can try to look back at the script to see how we did it if that would be helpful

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 4.  RE: Metamorphoses Myrrah Myth

Posted 01-06-2022 13:25
    I had an email discussion with Mary Zimmerman about this before we did the play. Her instructions to me were that if scenes were not included in the performance, the show should be billed as "Scenes from Metamorphoses"
    This was a few years ago. I recommend you contact the licensing agent first.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, Retired
    Northern Rep to the California Thespian State Board
    Carmichael, CA