Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Using films for a small class

Posted 01-07-2022 09:03
    Hi everyone, 

I am reaching out to see if anyone can help me troubleshoot curriculum for a small class. My theater class which began as a small group is getting even smaller as students are out with COVID. Scene work or performances has become nearly impossible. I am thinking of shifting second semester to be more of a theater appreciation class focusing on script reading and writing and watching filmed performances or movies based on plays. I'm wondering if anyone has any units they'd be willing to share or any suggestions for activities or assignments to go with films. Any help at all would be appreciated!

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Ellie McIvor-Baker
    Theater Teacher and Director

• 2.  RE: Using films for a small class

Posted 01-10-2022 08:23

You could do a History of theater unit. Some videos on Amazon for the various periods are Prime rentals/purchases or you could buy a DVD. The DVD's are pricey.
    You can find them on Amazon if you ask for specific play titles. Link for Oedipus ---https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oedipus+video&crid=3P1L30G6LKTO7&sprefix=oedipus+video%2Caps%2C152&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    There are excellent Shakespeare videos for sale from the Globe in London.  I am not sure how long it would take now for a DVD to ship but I have had
    a lot of success in the past buying and receiving DVD's from the Globe.  Here is the link-- https://shop.shakespearesglobe.com/collections/books-dvds
    Some of the  Play Publishers may have a few DVD's but I mostly got my videos from Amazon or the Globe.

You can find worksheets  for almost any video on Teachers Pay Teachers. I use them a lot.  The charges for these worksheets are usually minimal.
    I am sending you a link for copies of short passages from Shakespeare.

SARAH PEDRUZZI