Open Forum

View Only

Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

• 1.  Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 12-06-2021 12:50
    Hey y'all! This is my first post on the forum!
    I am currently a graduate student getting my Master's in teaching and my end goal is to be a Theatre Teacher in Secondary Education. In my undergrad I put my focus in Design and Production because that's what I thought I wanted to do long-term, but after deciding that that wasn't where I needed to be, I've got some catching up to do in other departments.

Does anyone have any reading recommendations for an up-and-coming theatre educator? I mostly need resources on performance-related subjects, but I'm open to anything you deem helpful and necessary! I'm already trying to find books on choreography/dance for the stage, Viewpoints, and ones that go more in depth on stage violence & intimacy.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Carson Davis
    Russellville AR

• 2.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 12-07-2021 07:40
    Michael Shurtleff's Audition, Boal's Games for Actors & Non-Actors, Viola Spolin's Improvisation for Theatre, Robert Cohen's Acting OneActing Onstage and Off by Robert Barton, The Viewpoints Book, The Actor's Thesaurus, something to get you grounded in Stanislavski technique (I use the textbook Acting is Believing). I've found the professional development and lesson planning resources on Drama Teacher Academy (I have a membership) to be very useful as well.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 3.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 12-07-2021 11:10
    Thanks so much! I'll definitely look into these!

Carson Davis
    Russellville AR

• 4.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-05-2022 11:11
    Carson, there are also some wonderful books for teaching theatre on the website of Pioneer Drama Service. In addition, you can signup for their newsletter, which gives tips on all aspects of play production, including working with actors, designers, etc.

Stanley Coleman
    OR

• 5.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-05-2022 14:56
    Thank you so so much! I'll look into that service and sign up for that newsletter asap!

Carson Davis
    Russellville AR

• 6.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-05-2022 17:56
    Early in my teaching career, I found The Drama Teacher's Survival Guide, and the Drama Teacher's Survival Guide 2 invaluable.​

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School
    WA

• 7.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-06-2022 15:10
    I've seen those online a few times, I'm glad to hear that they are helpful! I'll make sure those go on my "books to get" list! Thank you!

Carson Davis
    Russellville AR

• 8.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-07-2022 12:19
    I recommend RAISING THE CURTAIN, a book of ensemble-based experiences for high school and middle school Theatre classes. www.perfectionlearning.com. 

Gai Laing Jones

• 9.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-08-2022 09:27
    Hello Carson,

In addition to those mentioned here, I highly recommend the Larry Silverberg Meisner books and "Respect For Acting."

[Jen] [Jordan]
    [Director of Theater and Dance]
    [Junior Class and Day Student Advisor]
    [Miss Hall's School]
    [Pittsfield] [MA]

• 10.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-09-2022 09:46
    Hello!
    There are so many books & resources out there and it can be overwhelming. I suggest zeroing in on what speaks to you based on your needs. The best news is that you are going to a have a "leg up" on most secondary theatre teachers who typically have little to no expertise in the tech side. Count your blessings and good luck!
    Warmly,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 11.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-09-2022 10:28
    Few books focus on "all the other stuff" that will distract/obstruct/interrupt your teaching and directing while working in a school setting.
    Real-World Theatre Education is the way to be fully prepared. It's a season-by-season walk-through of your first year (actually, starting from job search).
    If you are an actor/director suddenly responsible for all the tech, too, you'll find this helpful: Teaching Tech You Never Learned. and its companion Theatre Safety Guide.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://EducationalStages.com
    https://bit.ly/RWTEOview
    https://bit.ly/eTeachTech

• 12.  RE: Book and Resource RECOMMENDATIONS Please!

Posted 01-10-2022 20:23
    Hello!
    I'd recommend Stella Adler: The Art of Acting. Great read on the core essentials of the "Method" founded by Stanislavski himself. Also highlighting the focus to understand the scripts central ideas and the need of the actor to be a conveyor of ideas and not simply an entertainer of sorts
    Theatre of the Oppressed by Boal has great exercises to get students comfortable expressing themselves.

Paula Gor