Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Obtaining rights to perform monologues from Dramatic Publishing

Posted 12-13-2021 16:32
    Tis the Season to obtain rights for students to perform monologues at state festivals.  I have two monologue books that I purchased years ago from Dramatic Publishing that I need to get rights for monologues found for this year's state festival.  I went on the website today and for both books, there is the message: "Dramatic Publishing does not hold the licensing rights to this collection."  I have tried Google Search but can't find any other source besides DPC for licensing.  This is weird.  Does anyone have any insight?  

------------------------------
    Stephanie Schultze
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Russellville High School
    AR

• 2.  RE: Obtaining rights to perform monologues from Dramatic Publishing

Posted 12-14-2021 08:34
    I am the Thespy coordinator for PA Thespians, and verifying entries for this year's process, we didn't have many entries from Dramatic Publishing - but one was from my own student for a monologue entry.  She found it in an anthology book we had in our script library.

I reached out to the company rep, and they got permission from the author/author's estate to allow this entry to be used (the catch was that our process requires them to submit a video recording, which was the sticking point - if they had been performed live, there would have been less to manage.)  They waived a licensing fee, but was required to purchase a copy of the full-length play.  And this video entry of hers can only be shared with the judges.  I had to explain that I was not planning to license the whole show, but was seeking permission for my student to perform a short cut for her video/monologue entry for the Thespy program.

I was able to get a rep on the telephone to explain what I needed, and we followed up via email from that point.
    Best,
    Missy

Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor High School

• 3.  RE: Obtaining rights to perform monologues from Dramatic Publishing

Posted 12-15-2021 09:16
    Thank you so much for the reply!

Stephanie Schultze
    Drama Teacher/Director