Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alice in Wonderland?

Posted 12-22-2021 16:47
    Hello!
    If you have Produced Alice in Wonderland, what has been your favorite version? I'm considering it for next year as a I need a show with many gender neutral characters. I know there's a bunch of versions out there and looking for the one that was the best understood and best received!
    Thank you and Happy Holidays!

------------------------------
    Cori Larsen
    Drama Advisor/ Theatre Director
    Jackson Memorial High School
    NJ

• 2.  RE: Alice in Wonderland?

Posted 12-23-2021 13:49
    Hello!

I wrote an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland and produced it at my high school this fall. It's a slightly modernized take that gives Alice much more agency than in the orginal; it's a coming of age story that is an allegory for the high school/middle school experience.  I split Alice into multiple characters both to give more students the opportunity for a lead role and to show Alice's growth overtime and to highlight the multiplicity of selfhood, especially in a transitional time like high school. The Alices are all written to use they/them pronouns and I cast a variety of genders in those roles. There are plenty of other gender neutral characters in the script (basically everyone in Wonderland can be cast as any gender and most use they/them pronouns). I'm also open to revising the script based on your cast size and needs. 

Please email me if you're interested and I can send you the script for perusal. 

Thank you, 
    Hannah Gould 
    hannah_gould@fuhsd.org 
    Theatre and English Teacher 
    Monta Vista High School 
    Cupertino, CA

Hannah Gould
    Theatre Teacher
    Monta Vista High School
    CA

• 3.  RE: Alice in Wonderland?

Posted 12-24-2021 16:49
    Hi Cori,

At the risk of piling on, I also have an adaptation of ALICE. It is in "Book-It" style, which is more faithful to the original text since it is has narration assigned as dialogue. It was produced as a one act traveling show for Book-It Theatre in Seattle about 5 years ago, and I also have a full length version with multiple Alice characters.

The full-length version was a popular production for my HS, and it works with a cast of about 10 (lots of doubling) to 21 (no doubling). In addition to Book It, it has been produced by several other schools. I produced it in a proscenium theater with no fly loft, but someone else made really creative use of flies at an arts HS in Florida. I asked for a nominal licensing fee, but I'd also waive it, if that was an issue for production.

The style is a bit unusual at first but it was well-accepted by the audience and a great theatrical exercise for the cast.

Write to me if you want to preview it.

Barb Lachman
    barblachman@icloud.com

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)