Open Forum

View Only

pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

• 1.  pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 09-29-2016 21:28
    Before I get to my request, congratulate California!! If you haven't heard, after 40 years of nail-bitten waiting, the governor at last signed into law SB 916, reinstating the Theatre and Dance Credentials!!! No more getting an English credential in order to teach theatre, and no more PE credential in order to teach dance 
    Ah, legitimacy (tongue only sightly in cheek)!

Now to my request:
    After years of teaching pantomime to beginners with varying degrees of success, I had an epiphany. Why not show clips of effective pantomime to students early on, so that they have at least a visual grasp of the concepts? Great, I said to myself. Only, what pantomime clips to show? I have seen virtually every clip on YouTube that features Marcel Marceau, but I'd like to expand the repertoire to include more contemporary, perhaps younger mime artists. 
    Do you, dear colleagues, have any suggestions? Or suggestions of DVDs to buy?

Thanks so much!

Nancy Bernhard (a proud holder of one of the few theatre credentials in CA, until now)
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA

• 2.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 09-30-2016 07:15

One of the things I show a lot of is ballet, because I love it and had the same issue you did in trying to find good clips of <g class="gr_ gr_186 gr-alert gr_spell gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling" id="186" data-gr-id="186">mime</g>. When I go through the elements of drama with my theatre 1 kids we always watch two clips of the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene, a traditional one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qao2xINsE and one from the ballet version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04IcHI1fFQ and we talk about the different "languages" and how they're able to communicate so much with the way we move.

With my theatre 2 kids, we watch most of the full-length work Cinderella by the Birmingham Royal Ballet since Cinderella has a lot of storytelling in it and less dance for dance's sake that you get with Swan Lake, Giselle, etc. and then they <g class="gr_ gr_610 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="610" data-gr-id="610">split </g><g class="gr_ gr_610 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar multiReplace" id="610" data-gr-id="610"><g class="gr_ gr_805 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="805" data-gr-id="805">in</g></g> groups and have to act out a fairy tale using <g class="gr_ gr_609 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="609" data-gr-id="609">only</g> movement. I don't make them dance, but some of them do and they all come out really well!

------------------------------
    William Healy
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Henrico VA

• 3.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 09-30-2016 07:17

While it isn't strictly pantomime without props, I find old silent movies help a lot when trying to show young actors how to free up their bodies and made them more expressive.  There is an official Charlie Chaplin YouTube channel with a ton of clips from his films that I've used extensively.  I have them watch a few clip (Charlie in the lion cage, the ending of City Lights and the window breaking scene from The Kid) and analyze the performance style.  I then break them up into groups and have them script a 2-3 minute silent-movie style pantomime scene complete with background music and title/dialogue cards.

As far as other clips go I usually show a variety of the following:

Mumenschanz on the Muppet Show has several incredible routines, my favorite being the clay faces.

Mummenschanz on the Muppet Show (1976) 4 of 5

Jerome Murat does a statue pantomime that is just sublime. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If6gUDs

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 4.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 09-30-2016 08:21

Although these are not pure classic pantomime, I also show my students some of the work of Shields and Yarnell and Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) when we do our pantomime unit. These are great examples of coordination, movement, focus, control and communicating without words.

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 5.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 09-30-2016 08:33

There's a mime on Youtube called E.T. the mime that has a couple of fun sketches.  There's one I frequently use that has him bringing up a kid from the audience and doing a whole skit about driving a car.  It's fun and more modern than Marceau.  Mime - ET the Mime - The Car   

I also use some clips from Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton films.  Not mime, I know, but we talk about how they had to use their bodies and faces in the same way mimes do in order to communicate.  

YouTube remove preview
    Mime - ET the Mime - The Car
    Funny mime from Toronto Ontario's ET the Mime is enjoyed in this skit entitled 'The Car' from his Comedy Mime Show. Visit him and leave your feedback at his new website www.mimetomime.ca ET the Mime is considered one of Canada's best mime artists.
    View this on YouTube >

Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 6.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 09-30-2016 11:57

I second ET the Mime, my middle schoolers LOVE him! We discuss the story that he tells and what we saw, even though we didn't actually 'see' it. It has been a tremendous help to my Pantomime unit, and doesn't seem as dated or 'uncool' as a lot of the mime examples I've found. 

Melissa Stuhff
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Temple TX

• 7.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 09-30-2016 09:04
      |   view attached

Hello Friend,

Check out on youtube DEREK CLAUSSEN Mime Coach. There are several solo mime examples (5 minutes) as well as examples of group mime ensembles (6 students/7 minutes.)  I've also attached a group mime task/rubric we use in class. Students select a recent (or past) news article and using Marcel Marceau's techniques, develop and perform a group mime.  Let me know if I might be able to help with specific questions. hansens@wdmcs.org

Best to you always!

Stacy Hansen

Stacy Hansen
    Des Moines IA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Group Mime assignment.pdf   151 KB 1 version

• 8.  pantomime videos

Posted 10-06-2016 10:07
    Hi, all!

Thank you so much for your input on contemporary pantomime resources! I have a wealth of new material, new artists to add to my list, as well as some forgotten ones-like Shields and Yarnell, for instance.
    I am totally re-energized!

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas High School

• 9.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 05-17-2023 02:08

Hi Friend, Thank you very much for giving such nice information.

Soniya Nag

• 10.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 05-18-2023 05:59
    I’d suggest showing high school pantomime videos. There are lots of enjoyable ones out there showing pantomime done to a musical track from competitions. Just look up that term.
    I’m my theater 1 class I use those to help communicate the ideas before we then go over the rules and start doing individual pantomimes, and then groups. We finish the pantomime unit by the students putting together their own group pantomime that also has a sound track they’ve created specifically for it. It’s generally quite popular.

• 11.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 05-21-2023 19:03

Good idea.  Viola Spolin's Theater Games for the Classroom has the best games for using Space Objects in scenes.  She  really talks about the use of space as a means to connection, and has great games for players of all ages.  Max Schafer

Max Schafer
    California Educational Theatre Association

• 12.  RE: pantomime videos/pantomime on YouTube

Posted 07-20-2023 04:23

Agreed! Viola Spolin's "Theater Games for the Classroom" is a fantastic resource for using space objects effectively. It fosters connection and offers diverse games suitable for all ages. Max Schafer would likely appreciate it too.

g

jimmy max