Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Greased Lightning Car prop

Posted 09-23-2015 15:30

Afternoon,

We are putting up "Grease" this fall and I am looking for somewhat realistic 3D Greased Lightning car prop.  If you have one from a past show or know of one please let me know.  We are in Florida and most of the prop shops I have found that have them are far enough away from us that it seems cost prohibitive(Shipping etc).  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Laura Rippel
    Theatre Program Director
    Bolles School
    Jacksonville FL

• 2.  RE: Greased Lightning Car prop

Posted 09-24-2015 12:43

I produced Grease two years ago and rented Greased Lighting from a local community theatre.  They charged me $350, but it was worth it.  It was small enough to fit in our "little theatre," but big enough to be believable.  It was on wheels, spun and could fit 4 characters in the seats.  I'm in the Seattle, wa area, but call local theatre, community and professional, in your area. I've found that most theatres are willing to help and may even cut the price for high schools on a limited budget.

Kristin Simeone-Myhre
    Everett WA

• 3.  RE: Greased Lightning Car prop

Posted 09-25-2015 08:30

We did Grease last year and I ended up buying an old fiat convertible from a junkyard. It was 500.00 delivered. I then gutted everything  but the interior and steering and chopped off the front end to fabricate a 50's looking car bumper, grill, etc. I also wired lights and put foam fins on the back and painted it primer red. Our take on it was that the car stays junky the whole time. I had to cut it in half at the doors to get it in the theater but then I bolted it back together and It worked great.

Dominic Sayler
    Technical Director
    Berkshire School
    Lakeville CT

• 4.  RE: Greased Lightning Car prop

Posted 09-25-2015 15:28

I have done a production of Grease and we built the car with the plans from a SCENE company.  We are about 30 min outside of Savannah. If you want to contact me to send you some pictures my e-mail address is rellis@effingham.k12.ga.us.

Raymond Ellis
    Savannah GA

• 5.  RE: Greased Lightning Car prop

Posted 10-06-2015 18:54

Be careful to account for the weight of the car / prop.  Any rolling prop has inertia and can get moving faster and farther than expected very quickly.  More than one rolling prop car has been know to roll off the front of the stage and crash into the Orchestra Pit or Audience Seating.  This can seriously injure both the occupants of the car and those in the area it crashes.  Make sure you have brakes and you plan for the worst case run-away.  Even rolling offstage or upstage they can do a lot of damage.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 6.  RE: Greased Lightning Car prop

Posted 10-15-2015 00:54

Ditto for needing one in Portland, OR for winter that isn't cost prohibitive. Anyone?

Jo Strom Lane

Roosevelt HS
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR