Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-20-2015 18:48

I am a Director/HS Theatre Teacher/Auditorium Tech Director for District... We are going through batteries like crazy.. have any of you switched to batteries you can charge?  How have they worked?  Would you recommend a brand/type?  Thanks for the support

------------------------------
    Christine Dougherty
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Delsea Regional School District
    Franklinville NJ

• 2.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-20-2015 20:09

I just ordered a 16 charger and batteries, I will let you know in a month.

Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress TX

• 3.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-21-2015 07:38

Any reasonable NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) with around 2000-3000mAH capacity should prove just fine.  Do not use NiCD (Nickel Cadnium) or "rechargeable" alkalines.

The important thing is to purchase a good charging system - avoid the department store unit. Annsman is the pro's choice and we make a nice rackmount unit at a much lower price point, and can customise to your requirements (Bodymics.com)

Feel free to contct me for selection options.

Also depending on how many shows and how long those shows are, consider using less expensive Alkalines from discount sources - I used Dollar Tree ones for years at 4/$1.00

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

• 4.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-21-2015 08:07

Christine,

We also go through batteries (for our wireless headset mics) like crazy. I work with the TD from Williams College for design of set and lights. She has recommending NOT using rechargeable batteries, as she feels they never work as well. I put an extra $200 in my budget for batteries for the year.

Jen 

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 5.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-22-2015 07:04

The theater world is really split on this - many have had their fingers burned - especially using NiCads.

A normal Alkaline battery behaves much "better" toward the end of it's life giving you a bigger cushion before dying, NiCads on the other hand drop off very fast at the end of the charge.

NiMH behave more like Alkalines in this regard.  They also have larger capacities to provide the necessary headroom in terms of lasting through a show.

Now the manufacturers are starting to make versions designed with rechargeables in mind.  However the majority of Broadway is still using Alkalines, but rechargeables continue to increase their share of this business.  

For old guys like me it was hard to overcome our "never use rechargables" - I had been singing that song since the late seventies until I became a convert a year or two ago.  

A 2500mA NiMH AA will last as long on stage as a Duracell AA.  Even the more expensive batteries ($4-6/cell and the Annsmann professional chargers (16 cells for $450-600) will pay for themselves in a couple of shows.

If you go this route, make sure you have a backup plan in case of failure.  If you use 12 mics with 2 AA batteries each = 24, buy at least 30 batteries  and enough chargers to charge all of them simultaneously.  Also always have enough Alkalines on hand in case of a disaster.  Always have a cushion to keep Murphy at bay.

I sell 2700mA NiMH at about $3 each and build quality chargers that rack mount in a variety of cell counts - 16/24/32 - ($300/400/500).

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

• 6.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-25-2015 16:07

Hello from Broadway, 

Many shows today do use rechargeable batteries! From our research it is at least a dozen shows. WICKED pioneered their use and went from using 15,000 regular alkaline batteries a year to using just 96 rechargeables.  

The Sound Department at WICKED is nice enough to offer help and suggestions to any shows looking to make the switch.  I am going to send them a link to this discussion to see if they have any advice.  The bottom line is this works on Broadway so it can work for you too! 

Please check out our free, online theater greening resource, BroadwayGreeningAdvisor.org or go to our website to find out more: BroadwayGreen.com.  

We also have a College Green Captain program where a student and faculty/staff member can be the go-to greening folks at their theater department. This is based on our Broadway Green Captain program where we have a volunteer green person at every Broadway show.

As soon as you let us know you want to be a Green Captain we will send a kit with ideas for greening. We also have a College Green Captain prize for an outstanding Green Captain (info here).  For any general questions about green and theater please email us at green@broadway.org

Rebekah 
    Broadway Green Alliance
    rsale@broadwaygreen.com 

Rebekah Sale

• 7.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-22-2015 12:06

We have not had the best luck with rechargeable batteries.  We use Duracell ProCells that we get from a local electronics store.  We get them in bulk for less than a dollar apiece.  We also have a five-gallon bucket with a hole cut in the lid to recycle them.  I cannot recommend rechargeable or "store" brand batteries, as they can be unpredictable.  

John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Las Vegas Academy of the Arts

Clark County School District

Las Vegas NV

• 8.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 09-23-2015 12:23

Other considerations about batteries are:

1.  Not all rechargeable batteries strictly adhere to the standard dimensions of Alkaline battery cells, so they may not fit into the battery compartment.

2. If you seem to be draining batteries at a high rate, consider checking your transmitter power level settings.  Some products allow for the transmit power to be adjusted from between 50mW up to 250mW.  If you have a properly set-up antenna system at the receiver end of the system, you probably don't need or want the higher transmit power settings.  Unlike sound or lights, more transmit power may actually be creating more problems than it solves due to intermodulation of the RF signals.

3. Make sure that the dangling antenna from the transmitter packs are not all wadded-up in the performer's pocket or costume.  It really really really needs to be straight (hanging down, diagonal along a musical instrument shoulder strap, or wrapped horizontally along a belt).

4. Your receiver antennas should be up high-enough that there are no bodies (humans are bags of water that block radio waves) or metal (pipes, conduit, rebar, & studs inside walls, chair backs, racks, window frames) between the performers and the antennas.  All too often I find antennas attached to the back of the receivers, and the receivers are mounted inside a metal rack that is sitting down at floor level back in a control booth with all of the audience between the receivers and the performers.  Buy a pair of unidirectional antennas, mount them up above standing head height (on walls or tall microphone stands), run them through an antenna splitter, and feed each receiver with a pair of 'A' antenna and 'B' antenna signals.  Aim the main axis of the directional antennas at mid-stage waist / chest high where the transmitter antennas are predominately located.  Separate the antennas buy 10-15 feet (spatial diversity), and rotate the antennas +/- 45 degrees so they are at right angles to each other (phase diversity - \ & / as you look at them from the stage) .  There is little or no need to mount the antennas physically near the stage - the signal loss through the cables is generally greater than the signal loss through the air, so proper antenna set-up near the receivers with 15'-30' of cable will typically yield better results than 100'-150' of cable with the antennas installed near the stage.  If you are using both UHF and VHF transmitter / receiver systems, you will need a antennas and splitters for each system.

Proper antenna set-up can save batteries if it allows you to reduce the transmit power levels!

Also, double-check to see that all of your wireless microphone sets (transmitter/receiver pairs) have a COORDINATED set of frequencies.  There is a very specific mathematical relationship that MUST be maintained between ALL of the wireless microphones, regardless of brand or model.  If they are not coordinated, then you can get drop-outs and funky swishy and squealy sounds from the audio outputs of the receivers.  Shure offers their Wireless Workbench software, and Sennheiser offers Wireless Systems Manager.  Both are free and will work with any brand of wireless microphone and wireless IEM (In Ear Monitors). There are also more sophisticated software products that you pay a nominal sum for like RF Guru and Invisible Waves (3 versions).  You have to enter the frequency information of all your local TV transmitter channels, too, as these can have a significant effect on your system functionality.  Don't forget to coordinate with local churches, your athletic department, local news crews, and any other classroom or lecture halls that may also have wireless microphones / musical instruments (usually guitarists) in-use during rehearsals and performances.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 9.  RE: Rechargeable Batteries for Mics???

Posted 11-10-2015 07:20

I decided to jump in and try rechargeable batteries. I got the NiMH batteries (9 volt) and recharging stations, and was all set to go for rehearsal last night..... :(  

As it turns out, (I have Shure lav mics) the battery is just that much bigger than a regular battery and they don't really fit in the lav and also don't make a connection. So.....

I have 32 rechargeable batteries and 4 recharging stations for sale if anyone is interested.

Mark Zortman
    PA Chapter Director
    York PA