Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-21-2020 09:37
    Good morning everyone! I told myself not to work on Saturday but as things progress I am concerned that we will not be returning to school and am thinking of ways that my students could still perform:) I am looking for plays that are comprised of monologues. I would be grateful for any and all suggestions. We are a somewhat conservative community so I have to take language and subject into consideration although I want it real or edgy enough that my students will want to work on it. We are also creating a devised piece based on their experiences during this isolation period. 
    Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    --
    Julie Richard, BFA, M.Ed
    Yearbook, Drama, Art
    Powdersville Middle School

I live for the journey, not the destination...

NOTICE: Employees are reminded of Board Policy IJNDB-R, which governs e-mail and Internet usage, and are advised to act accordingly. Recipients of e-mail sent through Anderson One's system should understand that it may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged material. If you have received the above e-mail or any attachments in error, this does not constitute permission to examine, copy, or distribute the information.Prompt notification to the sender of the error would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-21-2020 10:12
    -The Monologue Show (From Hell) by Don Zolidis. There are both a full length and one act version of this. 
    -Voices In Conflict by Bonnie Dickinson. This is a piece about the conflict in the middle east. It's been years since I read it but I don't recall any language issues. Just be aware of the content. 
    -And by Alan Haehnel. This piece deals with sexual assault but has many monologues that don't have anything to do with that subject at all.
    -4 A.M. by Jonathan Dorf. This is a series of scenes and monologues. Again, years since I read it.

Playscripts has all of these for you to peruse. I can't think of any others off the top of my head

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-21-2020 10:17
    I forgot to mention that these will be high school, I teach middle and high school. 
    --
    Julie Richard, BFA, M.Ed
    Yearbook, Drama, Art

NOTICE: Employees are reminded of Board Policy IJNDB-R, which governs e-mail and Internet usage, and are advised to act accordingly. Recipients of e-mail sent through Anderson One's system should understand that it may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged material. If you have received the above e-mail or any attachments in error, this does not constitute permission to examine, copy, or distribute the information.Prompt notification to the sender of the error would be appreciated.

• 4.  RE: Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-22-2020 10:36
    Spoon River Anthology
    More of a play, but Twelve Angry Men/Women/Jurors is practically monologues as each witness testifies.
    Love Letters by A.R.Gurney
    What about breaking up a one-person show like The Belle of Amherst
    or Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe (lots of different characters!)
    If you could get two actors together, they could do stuff (there are monolgues in here, too) from the Greater Tuna series

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 5.  RE: Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-23-2020 14:22
    Edgar Lee Masters' book of free verse poems, Spoon River Anthology, is in the public domain.  I have twice done adaptations from the book, which allows a great deal of flexibility based on your casting pool, plus saves the expense of purchasing scripts and paying royalties to Concord/Samuel French.  I used the gutenberg.org copy of the book, because I could download it in html and copy and paste from it.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-23-2020 14:53
    Thank you to everyone who sent me suggestions!! 
    --
    Julie Richard, BFA, M.Ed
    Yearbook, Drama, Art

• 7.  RE: Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-23-2020 15:49
    Another one-person show to break a part would be Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992.

Amanda Swann
    Visual and Performing Arts Magnet Coordinator and Theatre Director
    Verdugo Hills HS
    Tujunga, CA (LA Area)

• 8.  RE: Plays that are a series of monologues

Posted 03-23-2020 16:26
    I like that you are creating a devised theatre piece and I hope your students are all-in!  The Right to Remain Silent is mostly a monologue show involving individuals having their mug shots taken while they speak to the police officer.  There is language involved but the publisher, Eldridge Plays (histage.com) may be willing to work with you on the material.  Mark Fauser, the surviving playwright, has seen the show produced in a variety of locations, both conservative and liberal, and it has had great success.

Jerry Seeger
    Director of Theatre
    The Sagemont School
    Plantation FL