Open Forum

View Only

Distance MFA?

• 1.  Distance MFA?

Posted 04-16-2018 10:54
    In response to the question of a PhD, does anyone know of an online MFA program? I have an MA in theatre and an EdD but would like the terminal degree in fine arts. The only place locally that offers an MFA requires full time attendance (so you cannot teach and take courses)

Any ideas? 

------------------------------
    Doug Erwin
    Ferguson, MO

• 2.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-16-2018 12:25
    Following. I've had a hard time finding many distance programs even for an MA, and everything I have found either requires several summer intensives that are very far away (I have a young child) or are VERY expensive.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-17-2018 08:57
    Add me to the interested list!

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-18-2018 10:41
    Same boat BUT since education is my real bread and butter in theatre, I am pursuing the MATE program at Catholic U in D.C.  - it's over an hour and will take me FOREVER but I'm determined to keep my Masters pursuit theatre oriented!

Kelly Cardall
    Baltimore MD

• 5.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-19-2018 09:07
    I have been looking for a workable MFA program for years. The best one I found was a while back, and based in Oregon or Washington State... can't remember which. It required two summer intensives that only came to a couple of weeks each year, but I wasn't in a position to do it at the time, and I haven't seen it come back around again.

I would be very interested in a distance MFA... like so many others out there.

Jonathan Foust

• 6.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-19-2018 11:00

I think finding a completely online program is tough, but in terms of relatively low residency, Hollins University in Roanoke, Virginia has a strong MFA in Playwriting program (taught there back in 2008 and 2011) for which residency is in the summer, as well as a number of other graduate programs. A number of the students were teachers, as their programs fits well with a teacher's schedule.

https://www.hollins.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-20-2018 08:00
    I was just looking at that Playwriting MFA at Hollins. I'm in Staunton, Virginia, so that would be relatively convenient. It's nice to hear your positive review.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 8.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-20-2018 10:33
    Regent University offers a Master Of Arts in Theater all Online. I am a candidate there. :)

Timothy Mathews
    Theater Teather
    Port Richey FL

• 9.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-23-2018 07:25
    I'm glad Regent is working out for you. I tried that program, but it wasn't a good fit for me.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 10.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-23-2018 09:59
    Can you tell me more about the program at Regent?
    I am trying to get in to a Master's program. I live in Colorado, and have twice been denied admittance into the Masters in Theatre Education at UNC.  It is extremely sought after and hard to get in to. Since I will be bound to out-of-state tuition, I am concerned primarily with getting in to a program which is still affordable and offers a good theatre degree. 
    I am interested in the program at Southern Oregon, and in Washington state, but which school in WA? I understood WSU cut their theatre program entirely. I've also heard of a program in Houston, but not heard the name of the school offering this. 

Pacific Northwest and South West I could get to easily if it's only for a few weeks of summer.
    I am very interested in something. Preferably with an emphasis on educational theatre, but an MFA would be wonderful. I have a kid on the way and would like to get the raise in place before they start school.
    Please give specific school names and degree names so I can examine these further.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 11.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-24-2018 09:40
    I got my Master's in Theatre Education at Prescott College in Arizona. Its fabulous! Its distance learning but not a typical online program as you design your course of study & work one on one with an advisor. I found it to be more in depth & valuable for me but did require more work on my end. Completely worth it because it made me a better teacher. Since i designed my own course of study, i chose to focus on areas of weakness. Check it out!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• 12.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-24-2018 10:27
    My problem is that I find most of these programs to be prohibitively expensive. I only get $450/year in tuition reimbursement, and the master's supplement is less than $3,000 a year. That means it'll take me 10 years to justify a $30,000 degree. :-(

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 13.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-25-2018 18:11

RE Colorado Masters – Scott, have you checked into CU Boulder? They have graduate programs in both the Theatre department and the Education department. I also applied at UNC (for doctorate), but my application was deemed "incomplete" because apparently my Master's degree is from a university that isn't 'regionally accredited' and that's against the university's policy, so I don't know if I would have been admitted or not, because my application never reached the decision makers.

I recently moved to CO from WA, and several of my high school students in WA went to Central for their Bachelors, and a Drama teacher colleague did the Master's program there that Krystina mentioned, and I've heard nothing but good things about that school!  Also, Western, although I don't know if they have distance learning.

Congrats on your upcoming parenthood!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    TECH THEATRE COURSES FOR STUDENTS. http://www.presett.org/academy.html

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th. Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 14.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-23-2018 10:32
    Central Washington Theatre | MA Theatre Production
    Cwu remove preview
    Theatre | MA Theatre Production
    Theatre MA Theatre Production
    View this on Cwu >

University of Houston Summer MA for Theatre Educators
    Uh remove preview
    Summer MA for Theatre Educators
    Summer MA for Theatre Educators
    View this on Uh >

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 15.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 04-24-2018 10:58
    I received an MA in Theatre Production from Central Washington. It was an amazing program. Three summers for three or 4 weeks. The Thesis was a production at your school. Great experience!

Krystina Thiel
    Theatre Arts Director
    Great Falls MT

• 16.  RE: Distance MFA?

Posted 01-23-2020 09:11
    Has anyone found low-residency options on the East Coast or thereabouts? I know there's the MFA Playwriting Summer program at Hollins, and Goddard has a Master's in Interdisciplinary arts, but it's pretty expensive.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA