Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Disney's The Lion King Jr question

Posted 09-15-2022 09:31
    Hello,

I have a question for anyone who has produced Disney's The Lion King Jr.  I am confused about the action right after Mufasa's death, and my co-director and I have a bit of a differing opinion.

After Mufasa is killed during the stampede, the stage directions read "Dust clears, revealing Mufasa's royal symbol."  Then ,"Young Simba starts to sob and lies down beside the royal symbol."  Does "royal symbol" refer to Mufasa himself or to some. kind of actual symbol?  My co-director feels the phrase refers to Mufasa, but I tend to think the phrase refers to some actual symbol.  I know the movie has Young Simba lie next to his father's body.  Also, I have looked at various clips from other schools on Youtube, and they also have interpreted it as Mufasa's body.

If you have done this show, what was your interpretation?  I can see it both ways, but I want to be true to the script.  Is Mufasa the royal symbol, or is there supposed to be an actual symbol.  If so, what should the symbol be?

I thank you for any insight you are able to offer.

Ken Robinson

------------------------------
    Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 2.  RE: Disney's The Lion King Jr question

Posted 09-15-2022 09:46
    Hi Ken!

I went straight to the source and asked the folks at Disney Theatrical Licensing (for whom I used to work). Here's their reply:

The "symbol" is meant to be a mask, necklace, crown, piece of Mufasa's costume, etc. During the stampede the actor playing Mufasa is meant to leave the stage, but leave behind the "symbol."  After, Simba realizes Mufasa's body is gone and Simba places the symbol on his body (imagine him placing the crown on his head) to show that he is now the next in line within the family lineage and destined to eventually become King of the Pride Lands.

That's the idea. Schools can interpret the scene however they choose or feel inclined with their actors.

So, it is up for your interpretation. I believe the script was written that way to avoid an awkward "carrying off of Mufasa's body during a scene change" moment, or perhaps to soften a traumatic portrayal of death for some students who may not yet grasp its meaning. Definitely check the notes in the Director's Guide and possibly the choreography videos - they tend to have insights into key moments in the script, though I don't remember what scenes are featured on those videos off the top of my head.

Hope that helps!

Matt Curtis
    Content & Marketing Director
    Educational Theatre Association
    OH

• 3.  RE: Disney's The Lion King Jr question

Posted 09-16-2022 07:55
    Hi Ken,

We just produced LKJ last spring and this is how I interpreted that scene.  Who ever is king holds the "scepter" a painted bamboo stick with a small mask of the lion.  When Mufasa dies at the end of the stampede, he lies next to the scepter until Scar claims it and declares himself the new king.  At the end, we had Simba wrestle Scar for the scepter to reclaim the throne. (see attached photos) So in a sense both you and your co-director are correct - there is a body and a symbol. FYI The lion king materials show you how to build the scepter.  Good luck with your show - we had a wonderful time visiting the pride lands :)

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland