Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 06-30-2019 19:45
    Hey all,

I am seriously considering Peter and the Starcatcher for this fall. It's licensed through MTI but it's really not a musical. From looking at the script, it seems to have 2 songs. I know that there's background music and percussive sound effects that underscore the performance. How complicated is the music? Could 2 decent student musicians handle this, or do I need to have a real musical director? In all other ways, the show fits the bill for what I'm looking for in the fall. Any tips or suggestions are welcomed.

------------------------------
    Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 2.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 07-01-2019 07:53
    It's a pretty complicated score. Even though there are two songs only. The score is played throughout the show. My music director and rehearsal pianist came to every rehearsal.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 07-01-2019 08:55
    Yes, I agree. Timing is everything for this show. The music and musical sound effects are integral to the flow of the show. I had a music director who came once a week on my ling rehearsal to work with the cast. He was also a whiz with sound effects.

A great show! Have fun!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 4.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 07-01-2019 10:39
    I directed Peter and the Starcatcher in the spring and it was a wonderful experience.  It was way different than anything I have directed before.  Do not underestimate the blocking!  It can be tricky but super fun.  I had a vocal teacher instruct the music.  Yes, there a two actual songs, BUT there is a ton of underscoring and blocking with music/percussion.  One of the biggest challenges for us was the timing for the chant when the lost boys are coming down the mountain.  I don't remember the title of this, but it is pretty tricky.  We chose to purchase the music track from Right on Cue.  The vocal director played this during the performances.  You can also edit/customize this which was great and I would recommend using them if you are not going to play everything with live musicians.  We also added a Foley box which did the sound effects.  This was AMAZING.  I had two students and a handful of percussion instruments.  They made all of the sound effects live.  From the rain, to the ticking of the clock, to the crocodile and cat, they used a combination of Foley instruments, percussion instruments, and their voices.  We added a platform that extended the stage, dressed them in costume, and put them in a rowboat.  It was so cool and added to the effect of the show.  I wish I could take the credit for this idea, but the students came up with it.  I hope this helps!

--
    Jennifer Gunther
    Colerain High School Teacher
    Drama and English

• 5.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 07-01-2019 13:21
    I just saw a production at ITF.  I believe there was only one musician who played piano and some percussion instruments.

Donald Amerson
    Teacher
    Long Beach CA

• 6.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 07-02-2019 09:25
    Hi,

As others have mentioned, although not a traditional musical, the music is indeed important and a bit complex. On a similar note,
    the vocal parts, especially "Swim On" are quite challenging. With a six part divisi (six separate vocal lines as I recall), it is a workout
    for less trained voices. Coupled with that is its length and ever-increasing dynamic requirements. In short, be certain that you have strong singers
    lest the end of the first act be a bit of a let down.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    Dana W. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    Evansville IN

• 7.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 07-02-2019 11:13
    This is my favorite play to direct and have it on a 5-year rotation.  I use a hired pianist and a student drummer. I allow an extra month of rehearsal for this production.  Sets are limited to nonexistent, this play is all about lights and sound to set locations and mood.

Scott Bier
    Whittier, CA

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back."