Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  PUFFS (Young Wizard's Edition)

Posted 02-24-2022 11:18
    Has anyone read the Young Wizard's edition of PUFFS? How "young" is it? Is it appropriate for high schoolers, or would they be better off with the original version? Also, is there any flexibility in the casting? Could a girl play a male character, for example?

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 2.  RE: PUFFS (Young Wizard's Edition)

Posted 02-24-2022 13:09
    Hi Cassy,

Great questions! 
    • We're seeing most high schools present the "Young Wizards" version, mostly for the language.
    • Casting is totally flexible for this title!

Rosemary Bucher
    Educational Theatre Licensing Coordinator

• 3.  RE: PUFFS (Young Wizard's Edition)

Posted 02-24-2022 13:42
    Thanks, Rosemary! I think I'll scoop it up as well when I order Marian. I appreciate your help.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    VA

• 4.  RE: PUFFS (Young Wizard's Edition)

Posted 02-25-2022 06:02

Hi! 

We just did puffs young wizards edition this past fall, it was perfect for high school age and is not too "young"! Grab a script of it, it's hilarious! My students thoroughly enjoyed this production! So much so I'm having the worst time picking something for next year! And yes, it's all super flexible and you can double up the roles how ever you see fit. 

Cori Bott
    Drama Advisor/ Theatre Director
    Jackson Memorial High School
    NJ

• 5.  RE: PUFFS (Young Wizard's Edition)

Posted 02-25-2022 14:58
    I will definitely read it, Cori, thanks for the recommendation! If it helps your search, other titles on my shortlist are Mermaid (from Nick Hern Books), She Kills Monsters (YA edition), Marian, or the True Tale of Robin Hood, and The Search for Delicious. We're also doing one of the short plays from The Fourth Orange and other Tales by Hillary DePiano as a final project this year.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    VA

• 6.  RE: PUFFS (Young Wizard's Edition)

Posted 03-02-2022 15:16
    Such a fun show!  Yes--girls can play male characters.  In the original off-broadway production, the actress who played Susie Bones also played Harry Potter.  I had  girls play J Finch, Ernie Mac, Cedric & Mr. Voldy.  I tried to do it before the world shut down-- we had a cast of 15.  We were able to produce it last fall with a cast of 16.  This is especially good if you have a lot of kids who grew up on Harry Potter!  They will get all of the references!

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    Burlingame High School
    Burlingame CA