Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ideas needed

Posted 04-25-2022 21:37
    I have a small theater program (usually around 30 kids that are a mix of junior high and high schoolers). I have about 5-6 boys total and a handful of extremely talented girls. We have some decent dancers in a dance corp. I am in need of ideas for future shows. I'm toying with shows like Newsies (with girls playing boy roles) but need to know if this is too hard for the age and maturity of my group. Advice? Any other shows you would recommend for a group like this with few boys and ages ranging from 11 to 18?--
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Ideas needed

Posted 04-26-2022 08:40
    My program sounds very similar in size and gender make up. We just did Annie and it works well because there are few true male roles and several strong female roles. Dancing can be as elaborate as you have talent for. Also, we used several jr high girls as the orphans (especially Molly who is supposed to be younger than all the others) to help the "adults" seem older. 

We did Guys and Dolls (although it was canceled opening weekend due to Covid- March 2020), but it worked in our program. We did use several girls dressed as guys for the heavy guy scenes like the sewer gambling game. You do need a few more strong males for this show though.

------------------------------
    Amy Williams
    District Librarian/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8881
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, IL

• 3.  RE: Ideas needed

Posted 04-27-2022 12:35
    We did 57th National Mathlete Sum-It this school year and the kids loved it. Great vehicle for 4 0r 5 strong females, 1 boy with solo parts, and room to expand the ensemble! My kids will be talking about and singing this show for years!

Bruce Udell
    Gaylord St. Mary

Virus-free. www.avast.com

• 4.  RE: Ideas needed

Posted 04-28-2022 10:32
    This had been my situation for a while, but only with high schoolers... we did Pippin, Chicago, Putnam County Spelling Bee all successfully with about 3-4 guys. We also looked seriously at Cinderella, 9 to 5, Wizard of Oz. I'm not sure most of these are helpful for you since you also work with middle schoolers, but maybe the school editions are worth a look? 

--
    Lindsay Hearn Brustein, MFA
    she/her/hers
    Director of Theatre Focus
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School

• 5.  RE: Ideas needed

Posted 04-27-2022 19:57
    Yes I treated those parts as leads! Why not? You want a positive experience for as many students as possible!

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Ideas needed

Posted 04-26-2022 12:54
    Sounds like my program - no suggestions (though my school is currently working on Gathering Blue and it's a great shorter straight play). I just want to follow this conversations for ideas for my program too!

Becky Gil
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Willows Preparatory School
    Redmond, WA
    www.willowsprep.com

• 7.  RE: Ideas needed

Posted 04-28-2022 08:52
    I recently read Wanda's World, and I really liked it! That might work for you. Also on my reading list (for high school, but might work for MS as well) are Little House on the Prairie, Danni Hero, and Princess Cassie and the Fairy Queen. A lot of people seem to like Emma: A Pop Musical or Like You Like It, as well. Both seem fun, I just haven't had the right group for either yet.

I have a small theater program (usually around 30 kids that are a mix of junior high and high schoolers). I have about 5-6 boys total and a handful of extremely talented girls. We have some decent dancers in a dance corp. I am in need of ideas for future shows. I'm toying with shows like Newsies (with girls playing boy roles) but need to know if this is too hard for the age and maturity of my group. Advice? Any other shows you would recommend for a group like this with few boys and ages ranging from 11 to 18?--
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching