Open Forum

View Only

Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

• 1.  Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 07-30-2019 11:09
    Hello all - I'm seeking advice or shared documents for cutting a Twelve Angry Jurors.
    is it possible to perform this piece in 45 minutes?  Does anyone have a successful cutting?
    Thanks for any and all assistance!
    Bobbi

------------------------------
    Bobbi Vinson
    Drama Teacher/Director Maverick Theatre
    Manchester Valley High School Manchester, Md

• 2.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 07-31-2019 08:19
    I tried to do this three years ago for an advanced class production and had no success.  I found all of the dialogue and action necessary to both the character development and the story.  Each juror's decision is realized through time and discovery.  The show is already short in it's entirety (70 minutes) and I felt that cutting any of the text would greatly affect this.  I ended up leaving it as is and was so pleased with the outcome.

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ

• 3.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 07-31-2019 10:25
    I would recommend contacting Samuel French and asking About cutting it. They'll be able to tell you 1) if the playwright aloes cuttings, 2) can then give you permission to cut, and 3) they may have an approved cutting already. I always say go the legal route!!

Derek Pickens
    Director of Drama
    Charleston SC

• 4.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-01-2019 07:35
    I've seen this show successfully done for Texas UIL One-Act Play competition. The time limit for UIL is 40 minutes.

Roberta Lakavage
    Teacher
    Tarkington ISD
    Cleveland TX

• 5.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-01-2019 09:19
    Thank you!

• 6.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-02-2019 13:06
    Hi Bobbi,

I agree with Derek.
    If the show is for public consumption, you'll need to contact the license holder for permission to make any changes to the script.

Take care,

Michael Detroit
    Executive Producer
    Playhouse on the Square

Michael Detroit
    Memphis TN

• 7.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-03-2019 09:01
    Please get the required permission to do the cuts. Contract with plays generally indicate that no cutting is allowed unless permission has been granted. This isn't a suggestion. It's the law. And publishers will follow up. Sometimes directors will get away with it in small venues, others not. 

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 8.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-03-2019 09:08
    I am so grateful that so many have responded with concern about obtaining legal rights to cut.  Thank you and don't worry!  I am certainly following proper procedures!
    Bonus: this forum connected me with a director that created an approved cutting that just happen to go on to win state competition!
    So, I am on my way!
    Thanks all!

Bobbi

• 9.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-05-2019 10:00
    Hi Bobbi,

Dramatic Publishing licenses amateur (and K-12) productions of Twelve Angry Men (and Twelve Angry Jurors). Samuel French handles professional licensing only for this title.

Cutting is allowed if it is done in accordance with our cutting guidelines, which are as follows:

"Dramatic Publishing defines a cutting as the removal of entire pages or scenes from the script. The remaining material must be performed in its original order, with no character or gender changes. The removal of individual lines from the remaining material is prohibited. All cutting requests must be reviewed and approved by Dramatic Publishing."

Please apply for rights to perform the title on our website. While you are filling out the application, you will be asked if you are cutting and you will have to indicate if you are following our guidelines or not.

Please do not hesitate to contact our office by phone should you have any more questions: (800) 448-7469. We are open 8:30 am-4:00 pm Mon.-Thurs., 8:30 am-3:00 pm Fri. CST.

Thank you!

Ivy

Ivy Neufeld
    Dramatic Publishing Company
    311 Washington Street
    Woodstock, IL 60098

• 10.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-05-2019 10:05
    Ivy,
    Thank you so much for that information - it will greatly inform my decision! 
    Thank you too for your generous offer to help - I will definitely be in touch!

Thank you,
    Bobbi

Bobbi Vinson
    Drama Teacher/Director Maverick Theatre
    Manchester Valley High School Manchester, Md

• 11.  RE: Twelve Angry Jurors - Cutting

Posted 08-06-2019 18:26
    Hi, I did a cutting of this for UIL 2 years ago while I was teaching in TX. Following the rules from Dramatic Publishing ( which I did with permision) makes it pretty difficult to cut. Because the show is so short already the best way to cut it down would be to take individual lines out, which is prohibited. Taking the half page to full page cuts required meant I lost some vital information and I wasn't really happy with the results. If you must cut the show down, say for a competition like UIL, you will have to make some compromises. It there is anyway to leave it the original length, I would really recommend doing that. Personally, I will never try to cut that show down again.

Dawn Treen
    Meridian Creek Middle School
    Wilsonville OR