Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Large Cast Dramedies

Posted 05-08-2020 10:25
    Looking for some good plays with a large cast that fit into a dramedy category. I have done mostly comedies at my current school and I am looking for something that has some serious moments, but still has some laughter. I don't have a lot of interest in shows like The Crucible etc. I have a lot of kids that love comedy, but a group that is wanting to try out some dramatic acting. 

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Nelson
    Bishop Miege High School
    Theatre/Video Production Teacher
    Shawnee Mission, KS

• 2.  RE: Large Cast Dramedies

Posted 05-08-2020 16:40
    Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Jersey Lily was a really fun show and had a nice balance to it.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Large Cast Dramedies

Posted 05-09-2020 13:33

I have loved producing some of the well written classics that have both humor and drama! Examples: Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, Tom Sawyer, and Cheaper by the Dozen. A Midsummer Nights Dream has all these elements as well, in my opinion, even though it is considered a comedy! All of these plays had fairly large casts, appeal to all ages, and usually draw a crowd because they are well known! Break a Leg! 

Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN
    Suzanne.Craig@Lipscomb.Edu

• 4.  RE: Large Cast Dramedies

Posted 05-10-2020 22:20
    On the advice of a colleague who had done the show, I once produced Ferber and Kaufman's Stage Door at my school, and I've rarely had more fun working on a show.  Very funny lines and bits, but also some very serious drama, and a bit of meditation on the whole art vs. fame-and-money thing in the theatre.

There is one thing that my colleague advised me to work around, and I did.  As written, the play contains what would originally have been cast as a black couple who are the servants in the boarding house, where the rest of the cast would have been white.  My colleague advised me not to cast African-Americans in the servant roles, and to go color-blind everywhere else.  So I cast white students as the couple, without changing any dialogue - I just told them to play the characters as Southerners who had moved north to find work during the Depression - and I cast students from a number of different ethnicities among the rest of the cast, from the boarding-house residents all the way up to the big movie-studio boss.

It makes for a great school show, though - there are about 30 roles (some of which can be double-cast, especially among the males), all of them interesting and characterful, and predominantly female.  The acting edition comes with pre-approved re-writes to eliminate a second set and, if you need it, to tone down some PG language.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 5.  RE: Large Cast Dramedies

Posted 05-10-2020 23:21
    Large cast all depends on your perspective, I suppose, but this past fall I directed a new-ish play by Adam Szymkowicz called Kodachrome.  It definitely left the audience in tears, but also provided lots of great opportunities for comedy as well - great, unique characters for teenage performers to sink their teeth into.  You can't do it without a powerhouse female lead, though.  But I loved this show so much - beautiful script, cast of up to 16 or so, depending on if you want to double the smaller roles or not.  Definitely worth a read, at least.  Another one worth looking at would be Neil Simon's The Good Doctor - though admittedly much less for females to do in that one, which is almost always the opposite of what we're looking for in high school theater......Good luck!

Daren Dusenske
    School Counselor/Fall Play Director/Musical Producer
    Community High School District 155
    Crystal Lake IL