Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre Books to Influence Curriculum Work

Posted 09-26-2019 16:48
    Hi everyone,

I had posted before asking for curriculum ideas. Thank you to everyone who replied!

Now, I'm looking for texts to help build some curriculum for high school classes. Here's the current class ideas I'm working with:

Theatre Arts - basic introduction to theatrical acting - acting skills through improv - ensemble building, etc. Little bit of scene and monologue study.

Acting - more concrete skill building, mask work, movement, voice, tableau, scene study

Directing - all aspects.

If you know of any books that you'd recommend to influence my building, I'd really appreciate it. No particular methods in mind -- give me everything you got!

Thanks in advance!
    morrisondb@vvsd.org

------------------------------
    David Morrison
    English Teacher
    Bolingbrook IL

• 2.  RE: Theatre Books to Influence Curriculum Work

Posted 09-27-2019 06:59
    Hi David,

Have you seen Theatre Educator Pro that is part of an EdTA membership? There is a wealth of curricular ideas there with more added all of the time. If you haven't seen it yet, go to https://learn.schooltheatre.org/ If you are an EdTA member, all of the components of TE Pro are part of your membership. 

Best, 

Dan

Daniel Doerger
    Membership Outreach Manager
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Theatre Books to Influence Curriculum Work

Posted 09-27-2019 11:18
    Hi David, 

I recommend Stage Managing and Theatre Etiquette by Linda Apperson. Its a basic, handy reference to stage management, an area which is, unfortunately, often brushed over too often in high school programs. Its a quick read and a good place to start. Drama teachers I've worked with have told me it was very helpful. 

Cheers,
    Linda Apperson 

• 4.  RE: Theatre Books to Influence Curriculum Work

Posted 09-30-2019 14:03
    Hi. 

I really like The Practical Handbook for the Actor. It is very accessible with a clear straightforward repeatable process for actors young and old.

All the best,
    Erik

Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre
    Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!
    Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers