Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-18-2020 09:41
    Do you use any theatrical textbooks with your students? If so, which textbooks to you like?

------------------------------
    David Tate Hastings
    Theatre Educator
    Olathe South High School
    Home of Thespian Troupe #5006

• 2.  RE: Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-19-2020 09:17
    We use Theatre: Art in Action.  Mostly, I use it as a reference tool for me.  We do not use it day to day.  However, I do use it for home-bound and or in and out of school suspension students.  I like the way it is set up with sections and projects.  The text provides me a resource when I'm looking forward or back at a particular unit or standard and it is easy to assign a section and a project to a student who needs some extra support.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-20-2020 09:55
    We use The Art of Theater -- Similar to Michael, not daily, but for reference.  We use it in our History of Theater Class and IB Theater most regularly.

Tiersa Ferraro
    Drama Director
    Delafield WI

• 4.  RE: Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-20-2020 10:46
    I use Basic Drama Projects published by Perfection Learning.  And, like the others, we use it only to begin a unit or as a supplemental piece.  I like it because it has a project that goes with every chapter.  And there are handouts for activites and such.

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 5.  RE: Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-20-2020 11:01
    We use Basic Drama Projects.  Like the others have said, it is a reference and a way to get started on a unit.  I use it to introduce students to vocab.  I like to use some of the rubrics and some of the projects, but it is my starting point for what I am teaching.

Jennifer Babcock
    Orting High School
    Orting WA

• 6.  RE: Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-21-2020 12:13
    I recommend RAISING THE CURTAIN perfectionlearning.com; for advanced classes THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES, an acting workbook type text by Intellectpublishing.com.

Gai Laing Jones
    Www.gaijones.com

• 7.  RE: Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-21-2020 09:16
    I based my Theatre 1 curriculum on Fran Tanner's Basic Drama Projects...but ran into trouble when students "learned" that the course was about acting, so when the tech stuff showed up in later units, they rebelled (like, lots of allergies to stage makeup and tons of whining). After I started integrating those lessons into each week, that totally turned around (ZERO allergies to stage makeup when the unit was in September...Hmmm??!!!).

I consider Theatre: Art in Action to be the best book on the market due to its comprehensiveness, flexibility and support materials.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 8.  RE: Theatrical Textbooks

Posted 04-21-2020 09:40
    Hi David, I train teachers at the University level and we explore Basic Drama Projects, Art in Action, and The Stage and the School for high school curriculum content. Art in Action is my favorite, but the others have some valuable content and some "old chestnuts" that are new to the students of course ;) Best of luck!

Gordon Hensley
    Professor & Theatre Education Program Director
    Boone NC