Open Forum

View Only

Best Christmas pageant ever

• 1.  Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-04-2020 13:30
    Hello! Has anyone produced The best Christmas pageant ever with only high school students? Did it work?? Thanks for any input!

---------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Theatre Director/Drama Instructor
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS

• 2.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-05-2020 03:29
    I didn't personally direct it but it was done at the community theater where I was artistic director. Personally, I didn't think it worked well because the most interesting character the narrator. It is very difficult to get such young actors to portray these obnoxious children. But the charm of the original is the way the narrator reacts to the Herdmans. The tall tales and the change of heart toward them by the end. Unless you have a vision to bring that out, I'd stay away.

------------------------------
    Kevin McClellan
    Sandy UT

• 3.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-05-2020 08:26
    We did the musical "JV" version with our musical theater class first semester last year. The show is cute and most of the songs are surprisingly good. Because it was an hour-long version the plot moved along very quickly and it seems like the protagonist shifted three times. But overall the kids and the audience enjoyed it.

Tim Buchheit, Director
    Department of Theatre and Speech
    St. Francis Borgia Regional High School
    Washington, Mo.

• 4.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-05-2020 08:46
    I directed this show with only high school students.  It worked great.  We had such a fun time working on it.  Go for it!  The audience loved it.

Tracey Buot
    Director of Theatre
    St. Pius X Catholic HS
    Atlanta, GA

• 5.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-05-2020 10:38
    Yes! We did this and it was great. Worked just fine. The community liked it a lot and the students loved putting it on.

Lisa Groves
    Clinton IL

• 6.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-05-2020 20:12
    Thank you all! I appreciate all the input

Karin Neal
    Hutchinson KS

• 7.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-06-2020 10:06
    Yes. It was over 30 years ago, but we did and I've thought of this show often. It worked just fine with HS only. It can work either way.

Kate Lindsay, Troupe #1476
    Salina High School South
    Salina, KS

• 8.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-06-2020 11:23

I have directed Best x-mas... twice at church with all different aged people in the cast. I love this story! I've not done it at my high school because I teach at a public school with a very diverse population . If you teach at a private Christian school, go for it! Might be fun to have teachers play the adults and the students play the kids. That show impacted the community in so many ways and kicked started my career in theatre education. I think the characters are fun and honest - as a Christian mom who has lived through many Christmas pageants I have known the adult characters in  real life.  

Break a leg! 

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 9.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-07-2020 09:27
    I've been involved with this show in community theatre and it works really well. Our Playhouse actually performed it every Christmas for several years. Directors had the chance to play it all different ways, including a version set in the 80s. Barbara Robinson actually came to one of our shows which was a thrill for all of us. 

The adults can easily be played by students. The only thing is the script is starting to feel dated. The bad things the Herdmans do, don't seem so bad in today's world, unfortunately. But, it can still work and give the audience great humor and a significant message.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

• 10.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-08-2020 23:03
    Thank you all! Excited to get started on this!

Karin Neal
    Hutchinson KS

• 11.  RE: Best Christmas pageant ever

Posted 09-07-2020 03:37
    Karin

This is such a fantastic show.  Barbara Robinson actually grew up in my small home town in Ohio.  I have been involved with this show several times, but many years ago Mrs Robinson came back to our town and signed copies of the book for our library as a fund raiser during the week of the show.  She has since passed away, but what a treasure to have that book.  The show is based on actual kids in my home town from one of the small churches, it is a lot of fun. I think your HS kids would love to play these roles.   Good luck.

Shirlee Idzakovich
    Costume Designer, NYC
    Costuming/ Fashion Editor
    Master Class, Professional Development,
    Guest Lecturer
    The Costumer's Education FB group
    Model Curriculum Framework Project EDTA, NEA/ National Theatre Standards
    Costumer.shirlee@yahoo.com
    Shirleezak@yahoo.com