Open Forum

View Only

Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

• 1.  Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-05-2020 10:02
    All of us, every year deal with students who are upset they didn't get a bigger part in a show - or in the show at all.  I'm dealing with an uptick in students who feel entitled and just drop everything and leave the program when they don't get what they want.  What is your favorite piece of advice to students with bruised egos.  I keep fishing for that one line that is a real zinger to get them to reframe their thinking.  I DEEPLY enjoyed all my experiences performing in the ensemble or in supporting roles throughout my life in addition to crew positions or leading roles.  I've tried to use Osmosis to get my students to have that same perspective, but it isn't working.

I'd love to hear some of your favorite speeches or pieces of advice for your students who are mad they "didn't get what they deserved."  

--
    Brooke Phillips
    Teacher/Director of Theatre
    Millard West High School
    Co Chapter Director-Nebraska Thespians

• 2.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-05-2020 12:37
    There are lots of things I would like to say to students like that. :)  I try to be sensitive since most kids have all sorts of other things to deal with and sometimes not getting the role they want is just the latest blow to their ego and they can't handle it. And sometimes it is just arrogance in entitlement.

I remind actors that they are always auditioning for their next show, and that their attitude is always a factor in casting. I plan on telling kids during next year's auditions that an actor acts and doesn't turn down a role because of its size. If you turn down a role, you're simply not an actor, you don't care about practicing your craft, and don't need to be  part of the program since you're in it for the wrong reasons.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-05-2020 12:50
    This is always frustrating. There are a couple of things I do:

- I always start auditions with the reminder that I am looking for a balanced CAST and that means that the "best" person might not get a part or the part they "deserve" if it won't create the overall cast I am looking for. 
    - It is rare for students to get repeated lead roles in my department. I am always looking for the best fit to the role and cast as a whole and seniority doesn't play a role in the casting decisions (unless it is neck-and-neck between a senior and someone in a younger class). It is firmly established in the culture of my department and, since the same student is rarely the correct choice for the lead in back-to-back shows, it builds in the fact that you won't get a named role every time. 
    - I also talk about my time working in the ensemble. It's actually my favorite part in a show. I talk about the improvement made every time you work in the ensemble because it allow for freedom in character development that the named roles lack due to the limitations placed on them from the script.
    - Techs are the sung (as opposed to unsung) heroes in my department. I always recommend my actors tech at least one show. It provides an understanding that always makes them better actors in the future. Pointing out that when they are on stage they want committed techs helping them and now it is their turn can sometimes help.

Sometimes it's better to let the bruised egos go. If you talk to them and they are not willing to be anything other than the "star" then they probably aren't what you are looking for in your cast/crew anyway. I'd focus on the younger students in your department and rebuild a new culture with them. It will take a few years but be worth it.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 05:51

I JUST finished casting Miracle Worker and dealt with a lot of the same things. First off, I did an exercise that I found on another post and really hit home. I had the kids get in groups of 3 or 4. They each had to think of 3 people whom they enjoyed watching as actors. They then took those 9-12 people and decided who was going to be in Goldilocks & the 3 Bears. Only one per part. 

I then help them realize that even if they didn't get a part or what they wanted, that they are still valued as a performer. 

I also left it up to them to ask for feedback. Out of the 16 I cast, 3 of them asked for feedback. I'm honest with them as to why they got the role they received. If they don't like it, don't accept the role. While it may sound harsh, I have done this for over 10 years at both middle and high school levels. Some just like to complain. 

And I, too, want them to try tech and crew positions. 

Good luck. I'm sorry this is happening but it seems to be the way it is. 

Karen Wiebe
    Drama Director
    Burlington KY

• 5.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 08:17
    What an amazing activity to get them to understand how hard it is to cast and that not everyone gets a part!

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL

• 6.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 08:41
    Thank you all for the good anecdotes and ideas.  I love those type of activities.  I try to be very transparent with all my students and honest.  It is sometimes so discouraging to realize a talented kid has a bad attitude.  I keep thinking if we could only teach about the right attitude, more students will be successful- but sometimes we do have to just let them go and learn for themselves!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 7.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-07-2020 07:16
    Karen, thank you for this awesome idea! I have been directing for 20 years and have always dealt with the problem ... in fact I think it's gotten worse as my program has improved... I can't wait to try this out with my group !!

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 8.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 08:16
    I totally agree with reminding them that they are always auditioning for their next part.  I also tell them that as rehearsals progress, it is not uncommon for a person to drop from the cast, or be dismissed for missing too many rehearsals.  I almost always pull from those in the ensemble or from my extras and typically those with the best attitudes who have demonstrated they are happy with what they've been offered to start with.

I too tell students at auditions before I post the list that I am not always simply looking for the "best" person.  I am trying to put together a very specific puzzle and each person at auditions is a puzzle piece.  Every piece there will help complete a beautiful picture, it just might not be the picture i am putting together this time. 

I have had great responses with that metaphor.  Last year, one of my strongest performers didn't get a part other than that of extra and was devastated.  She took a day to be upset and then calmly came and asked what she could do to improve for her next audition.  She stuck it out as an extra, ended up getting a part of a no show person (although it was small, she made it fun), and is the lead this year.  I have used her as an example of how you are truly always auditioning for your next performance.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL

• 9.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 08:50
    What great ideas--loved the puzzle metaphor and Karen Wiebe's exercise. I don't teach that age range and then teach only playwriting, but my grandson is a thespian at his high school and I take some of these ideas to him when he talks about who got what roles and why. He's a sophomore, so he's not been upset by not getting leads, etc., yet. And he's always loved doing tech. If he talks about not wanting to take a role in the future, I'll keep some of these ideas handly when and if he complains to me.

But he did comment that if they did Sound of Music next year, he wouldn't play the role Kurt (?), the boy who becomes a Nazi soldier. I had to explain to him why it was important that actors play roles that had values that were even abhorrent to theirs--and play them well. And that he needed to look into the dimensions of that character a bit more to find the complexity or motivations. 

Such interesting things our kids learn about life in theater class, isn't it?

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 10.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 10:15
    Who are you now? I like to ask while I'm talking to my students (ie while I've got the lines). Are they themselves? 100%? Of course!
    Similarly, their characters must be 100% "themselves" even when they're listening or waiting or planning or reacting whether they speak their thoughts aloud or not.

BTW, my own kid was pretty clear that he preferred ensemble roles to the leads he played, since those offered the best opportunities to bond with the cast; better socializing when you have more time offstage!

I do the "casting exercise" with Little Red Riding Hood, asking the class to nominate and "cast" class members as Red, Granny, Mom, the Wolf, & Hunter. But what if their choice for the wolf reallllllllly wants to play Red?? etc. 
    I also remind them of my most dedicated/talented singer ever, who wanted the lead in Pippin...but he was a bass, and Pippin is a tenor; he was a big guy, and Pippin is pretty much a wimp; he exuded confidence, and Pippin questions everything; he's a great fit for the King, and most of the other guys are much smaller.  If he's a senior should he still get the role he craves? Or should it go to the younger actor who really fits the part?

And of course, as others mention here, one is indeed always auditioning. If you drop out of a show after being cast, you break your credibility about sticking with any future show; too big a risk for a director to take in the future.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 11.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 10:19
    Doug- I love these questions!  Thank you!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 12.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 13:46
    This doesn't often happen at my school. At auditions, I talk about what I need for the full cast, including ensemble roles. I talk about how important ensemble roles really are and how much fun they can be. And most of the time, every cast member is just happy to be in the show. But the one time it happened this year, I reminded the student that professional actors have played the same role. That did the trick. :D

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 13.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-06-2020 13:55
    Thats a good one- figure out who originated the role and share that.

Thank you!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 14.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-08-2020 14:04
    When I sense that my students start to feel entitled, I pull out a copy of Neil Simon’s biography REWRITES where he talks about the casting process for THE ODD COUPLE. Walter Matthau wanted to play Felix and the director told him that he was Oscar. Matthau replied that he could play Oscar in his sleep but Felix would be a real acting challenge. To which the director replied “Walter go act in someone else’s play” Matthau later agreed and the rest is history. I explain to my young actors that even Broadway stars with a lot of experience and clout don’t always get the part they want. It’s the nature of the biz...

Sent from my iPhone

• 15.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-07-2020 19:14

This is a tough one because some students genuinely want feedback on their auditions to learn how to improve and/or better understand the process, and some just want to vent and hopefully make you feel as bad as you've made them feel by not giving them the role they want. It's often hard to know which student is which.

One of the things I do is that I often cast at the end of the week. And I tell the students that if they want feedback I am happy to give it to them but that I don't want anyone to come to me for feedback until Monday. They should also double check the rehearsal/ performance requirements (a full schedule is posted) against their commitments for the two months ONE LAST TIME before accepting a role. So I give them the weekend. The kids who genuinely want feedback will happily wait until Monday. The kids who just want to vent have a chance to blow off steam over the weekend and are usually in a much better head space by Monday. 

This also does a lot to derail unfortunate knee jerk reactions. For example I had a boy who was talented but fairly inexperienced, and who, despite being only a sophomore, landed a pretty big supporting role in the fall play. He found he loved acting, but because of this early success he had his cap set on the lead in the spring musical. When he was cast in another supporting role, he was shocked (remember he'd only ever auditioned once for a play and he'd been cast in a nice medium size role.) Anyway, he ignored my comments on the audition form and came to me right away and said he was dropping the play. I knew his circumstances and told him I would not accept his resignation yet but that he needed to go home, read the show over the weekend and get back to me. If he still wanted to drop the show on Monday that was fine. I'd allow him to with no hard feelings. He said okay but he was sure he would still drop on Monday. Monday came and went and the boy decided to stick it out... begrudgingly. First read and rehearsals began. By the third week of rehearsal however the boy came to me and said "This is the best part I've ever had! I love this role! Thank you so much for casting me and THANK YOU for not accepting my resignation!"

I try to use stories like this a lot. I often us the reminder "Actors make terrible casting directors." to remind students that they don't have the whole picture when looking at casting and that people are often terrible when casting themselves. I use myself as an example. Often when I was acting I'd be cast in roles I didn't especially want to play that turned out to be some of the best roles (and some of the most interesting productions) I've ever been part of. Other times I've gotten leading roles that I knew I wanted, and that I campaigned hard for, and in the end, I found they were not as great or as fulfilling as I thought they'd be. My "dream role" didn't live up to the image I'd created in my head. 

Once last story I tell, I had some very talented kids a few years who constantly got cast in lead roles. They were triple threats and no matter who the director was, they both usually got cast as the leads over and over again. I specifically picked a show where they were wrong for the leads in order to give some new kids a chance and my two "stars" ended up in the chorus. Not only were they cool with that, they were relieved, and if fact they really enjoyed it. They said "one of the reasons you do theater in High School is for the social aspect. The friends you make. The time you get to spend together putting on a show.  When you're the lead, you don't get much of that. You're always learning lines or rehearsing staging. There's very little time to socialize or really get to know the people in your cast. It's lonely. And it's stressful." They loved being part of the team as opposed to the "lead,"  From that point on they would flip from show to show and often put "not interested in a leading role" on their audition forms. 

Good luck!

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    A3: The Academy of Arts & Academics
    Springfield, OR
    john.monteverde@springfield.k12.or.us

• 16.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-08-2020 19:45
    I love ALL this insights and suggestions and really appreciate all the sharing of fantastic ideas, exercises and examples. So many thanks to all who have chimed into this thread.

One other thought in case helpful is... I have this fabulous poster of the famous Stanislavski quote on my theatre wall: "There are no small parts..." Only small actors with an adorable kid running lines in the hall in a tree stump costume. (It's from Ludlam Dramatics web site which I am not affiliated with at all but they have some fantastic theatre posters for educators btw.)

Right before casting days in class I always ask students to translate the quote into their own words and then explain why this is one of the most important concepts in our familial department. I also explain that when I cast as an educator that I often have educational factors that weigh into my decisioning (like equity amongst the years, stretching performers to be as well-rounded as possible) and that I LOVE creating opportunities for my ensemble performers like adding songs, scenes and performance opportunities. So i work hard to make the ensemble roles as fabulous as possible. Best wishes to all and again thanks for the new ideas!

Colleen Mylott
    Secondary Theatre Teacher
    Peak to Peak Charter School
    Lafayette, CO

• 17.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-09-2020 10:29
    My students knew I was casting for ensemble - always! I also told them, "A brilliant lead can't save a bad show, but a poor supporting performer can kill a good one."

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 18.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-09-2020 10:42
    John- these are great anecdotes!  Thank you!
    I might put all of these things together and make a one page handout that says something like, "Things to read when I am upset about casting."

Thanks everyone!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 19.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-09-2020 09:34
    Everyone is saying a lot of great things in response to this, and, truly, we've all been there (and--just in my unscientific observation--there does seem to be a creeping societal attitude of entitlement of "lead role or not worth my time," even from kids who have NO experience).

I also think, though, that we have to be careful when talking about this topic with students (and parents) about not inadvertently reinforcing the notion that "mores line = better part = better theatrical/life experience." (I know this is cold comfort when you're dealing with a student whose issue is making the cast v. not being in the show; that's another issue.)  I think we need to be very intentional about language around this topic and not simply accept the premise of the complaint.  We need to be the ones reminding the world that ALL participation in theatre is worthwhile.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 20.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-09-2020 11:12
    I have one personal story that I tell them. I was a dwarf in "The Hobbit". I had 6 lines, but I was on stage all but 3 scenes. I had people come up to me afterwards and tell me that they couldn't take their eyes off me.

My second thing to tell the kids is "Don't count your lines; make your lines count."

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 21.  RE: Best Advice to Students When They Wish They Had More Lines

Posted 03-09-2020 14:36
      |   view attached
    I have tried to compile several of your suggestions into a handout for students.  I don't know if anyone else feels like they could use something like this, but feel free to share.  We can continue to add on as well.

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Read This About Casting.pdf   135 KB 1 version