Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Community Building Show

Posted 09-15-2021 16:37
    Okay Theatre Brains, I have a question.
    I already have a show in mind for this semester, but lately our community (and our school in particular) has been hit really hard with COVID. So I'm contemplating changing shows to better fit/address our current situation.
    I would be interested in a heartwarming, uplifting show about people (communities) coming together to support one another in a time of need. Ideally, a large flexible cast and not too long (my kids haven't been on stage in a while so I want to give lots of them the opportunity while not overwhelming them with a long complicated show). 
    I don't even know how to begin browsing for something like that, so I thought my best bet might be to submit my question to the "hive" and see what you guys know of that could fit the bill. 
    Thank you in advance!

*Background: The show I have picked out is actually about 9/11, but I had planned to do it on Nov. 11th for Veteran's Day and make a big patriotic evening out of it. (I did it on 9/11 five years ago, but since I haven't been able to do shows with my kids in so long, I knew we would need more time this year) The show is a one-act with lots of parts. I was gonna audition in about two weeks, but the last few weeks we've been hit so hard (and especially this week) and everyone is struggling so I thought maybe there would be something out there more uplifting we could do to bring our community together and offer some hope.

------------------------------
    Summer Rickman
    Hobbs High School

• 2.  RE: Community Building Show

Posted 09-16-2021 12:19
    Last year we were bound and determined to do a show.  I found this light, fun and endearing comedy called "The Little Town of Christmas" it is done in 12 separate scenes and we even added a dance number (Rocket style).  The nice thing about the show is if we had to worry about pulling someone from the show due to Covid the scenes were short enough to have understudies.  The scenes are a mix of silly and heartwarming moments centered around Christmas.

Kendra Knoblock
    Teacher - Director
    Romeo High School

• 3.  RE: Community Building Show

Posted 09-16-2021 12:30
    Kendra, that sounds interesting! I will have to look it up! I love the flexibility of it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Summer Rickman
    Hobbs High School