Open Forum

View Only

Seeking Technical Theater projects

• 1.  Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-20-2019 09:28
    Hi all! I am certain that someone else has posted this question but-
    I am seeking Technical theater projects including costumes, sound, properties and set. Thanks so much for your help and if anyone would like I'm happy to send back the "advanced theater" projects I designed last summer! 

--
    Thank you,
    Tifani Pust
    Luling High School 
    Theater Arts Instructor & Director 

• 2.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-20-2019 13:09
    Just piping in on a couple of your subjects, and not knowing how much time you have to cover them or how much your students already know.

As far as sets, the first "tech theatre" project most people seem to go for is building a flat. That's fine, but a flat is one-trick pony that's only used in specific cases where you need a flat surface like a wall, or maybe a stylized tree, hedge, or something similar. A lot of sets don't have surfaces like these and don't need flats. You can always learn how to build a flat when you actually need to build flats.

I would suggest something more applicable to sets in general, like learning the various parts of the stage, plus the masking and equipment, as well as things like the center line and plaster line. Or hand them a scaled floor plan of a set on your stage and have them lay out the walls, platforms, or whatever, in masking tape using the center line and plaster line as a reference.

As far as props, probably the most important thing a professional prop person does up front, especially with a period show, is to do some research and find out what the real thing looked like and how it was used. So you can give them a prop list for a period show and have them come back with several photos of each actual item, plus a comment on how it was used. If time allows, you can always have them duplicate a simple one.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-21-2019 20:26
    Tifani,

I run a high school technical theatre program and have designed various projects for different levels and needs.  If you can let me know what your limitations are, I would be more than happy to share some things.  Are you looking for theoretical projects or do you want practical hands-on, or both?  Below are some options I have.

Sampling of my projects:

Being a Producer and Design a Season - involves research and presentation

Set Design and Model Building - using a very short play students explore the design process and build a model using a manila folder

Build a flat - requires 1x4 and luaun or muslin/fabric

Scenic painting - uses the flat the students built

Costume Timeline - each student is given a period or style and they do a research presentation, learn to sketch, and get extra credits if they create a costume for their topic and wear it to present

Prop Design - Recreate a famous movie/tv show prop

Design a Lightshow - requires stage with lighting and board

Makeup Design - Halloween character design

There are more...Just let me know.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-22-2019 04:42
    Wow!  I would be really interested if you have specific and detailed lesson plans on some of those projects.

Donna Youngblood
    Garner NC

• 5.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-22-2019 08:08
    Joel, this all sounds great. I would love the one about set design and model building using manila folders. 
    Thank you!!

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL

• 6.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-22-2019 11:02
    I'll put my stuff together and upload it ASAP.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-23-2019 06:56
    Joel,
    Thank you for your generous offer! I would like to see your plans for the set design and model lesson, as well as the costume design.  Thanks so much!

Makala V. Witten
    Christiansburg High School
    Teacher, English 12 and Theatre
    Sponsor, International Thespian Troupe 3070
    Go Blue Demons!

• 8.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-25-2019 10:34
    I am currently looking for a model build lesson to use in the next month. I'd love to see yours with the manila folder.
    Thanks!

Julie Dukes
    Drama Teacher
    Clay County FL School District
    Fleming Island FL

• 9.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 02-25-2019 13:29
    Hello everyone,

I have attached information for the basic model project.  Remember it is for a quick intro project.  I do scale model and true design process with my students who move past this course.  I usually go longer than 3 days because of my class size and skill level varies year to year.

I have not attached a script for copyright reasons but I use the short play Break by Any Backer.  It's great.  Very short.  And has lots of opportunity.

Hope this helps.
    Joel

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

Attachment(s)

• 10.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 09-18-2022 13:07
    Hi Joel,

I know post is from a few years back- so I'm not sure if you'll see this or not. 

BUT- any chance you have anything to share for the Being a Producer/Design a Season project mentioned above? 

I can be reached at aguida@falmouth.k12.ma.us

Thank you!
    Alyssa

Alyssa Guida

• 11.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 09-19-2022 20:40
    I'd like to recommend Matt Kizer's website--specifically this link where you can purchase a deck of playing cards that simulate a production meeting. 
    "With PRODUCTION BEATING, students role-play a production meeting. Assign the jobs – director, set designer, lighting designer, costume designer, stage manager, technical director, sound designer, even a dramaturg. You only need a few of these to have a meeting!"

I have done this a few times with my students and they love it.  They really get into the personalities and focus on the job titles as well.  You can have 4 production meetings going on at once and then in the end have everyone share out.  

If you try this, let me know what you think - I just think it's genius! :)

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    Burlingame High School
    CA

• 12.  RE: Seeking Technical Theater projects

Posted 09-20-2022 15:37
    One of the things that was drilled into us in design school, and which for some reason a lot of people nowadays seem to resist, is research. Professional designers in all fields, including graphics, fashion, architecture, and so forth, do a lot of research in preparation for projects. Research is how you find out what things and periods really looked like, what works and what doesn't, and also how you get inspired to create something new and exciting. 

I had a professor who used to tell us in sketching classes, "draw what you see, not what you think you see," and it is so valid. To that I always add, "draw what it is, not what you think it is." Take a castle, for instance. Most of us think of a castle as "a blocky structure made of grey stone," or maybe as Cinderella's castle in Disneyland. Well, it turns out that there are many types of castles, depending on the period, on what they protected or not, and on where they were located. Fifteen or twenty minutes online looking at lots of castles can generate some very creative ideas that go beyond "a blocky structure made of grey stone."

FWIW, I wrote a blog post on this a few years ago:

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2017/08/10/research-is-an-investment-not-a-luxury/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net