Open Forum

View Only

Casting

• 1.  Casting

Posted 09-22-2019 14:05
    I am doing The Addams Family for our fall musical. I cast the tallest boy with the lowest voice and great comic timing as Lurch.  He is also black. He finds the casting of Lurch inappropriate.  I have a meeting tomorrow with the Principal, the young man and our Activities Director. I admit I'm at a loss for words.  I have been sensitive in the past with this young man asking if he was comfortable playing one of the butlers in The Importance of Being Ernest. He was not interested in the role. I was unable to use him.  So now I've offered him Lurch which I felt was okay as this is not reality and we really don't know what Lurch is?  Thoughts?

• 2.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 04:08
    Hi. 
    I directed The Addams Family over the summer and our Wednesday was African American, our Pugsley was a LatinX non-binary actor, our Lucas was Brazilian, our Gomez was from the Philippines, and Alice was African American.
    I feel like the show encourages us all to be pulled out of our comfort zones, and it celebrates what unites us rather than focusing on what divides us. "Love triumphs" and two very different families become one big family. 
    Hopefully, this young man will choose to be part of this story that celebrates inclusion, but if he doesn't, I'm sure there are many students who would love to play the role. 
    I hope this helps. 
    Erik

------------------------------
    Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre
    Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!
    Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers

• 3.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 07:49
    Mark me as confused. Why is it inappropriate? Would it be appropriate if he were cast as Gomez? He deserves to be heard, but this can be a slippery slope for anyone who doesn't get the role of their choice. If we are not teaching/modeling authentic, real-life skills...what are we doing?

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 07:55
    You cast a physically and comically appropriate actor to the part. Nothing wrong there. He may be offended that the 2 roles (I am assuming back to back productions) were both servant roles. His perspective is also right based on the facts as he knows them. IMHO he may be unaware that casting plays is not always tied to race or other identifiers. He needs to hear it is his comedic timing and his physicality that makes this a good fit. There will always be minimal or throw-a-way parts that get the story told but this is an opportunity for him to shine in the comedic part. He may not see that. 

Do they audition for certain parts or audition in general? Was he good enough/appropriate for a different role? Just asking for my own clarification. I general audition but for this one I wish I had done for specific parts.

Kati Heintzman
    Thespian Advisor
    Middletown City Schools
    Middletown OH

• 5.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 08:07
    In response to Kati. He was interested in Gomez of course and read for Gomez.  He didn't have the maturity or vocals. Tho a gorgeous base voice.

Marcie Panian
    Washington Cty. Schools Play Coach
    Musical, One Act, Spring Play
    Woodbury, Minnesota

• 6.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 08:20
    If I was in your shoes, I would explain to him what you just said to us.  You cast him based on vocal ability and height, which is pretty important to this show.  I would probably talk to the parents as well.  If he is not interested in the role, cast someone else.  I would not force a subject like that one.  But be very clear on your reasoning of why you cast him in the first place.  We cast a very short Lurch and although it did not look right, he was awesome.  Good Luck!

Sara Giambalvo
    Herculaneum MO

• 7.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 08:45
    Wow, Marcie! So sorry you are having this issue. I did the Addams Family with an all-girls very diverse cast. There were no challenges like this. Maybe try to get to the bottom of why he finds it so inappropriate. It could be that it's sour grapes from previous casting? It seems like you cast him for all the right reasons. I am also assuming you told him what a great comic actor he is, and that you need those amazing qualities he brings in order to tell the story of the show? Other than that, and your discussion with the principal, I would look for pictures of other productions with a diverse cast to show to him.

Good Luck!

--
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater & Dance
    Day Student Advisor
    Junior Class Advisor
    Miss Hall's School
    413-395-7023

• 8.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 09:57

If he doesn't want to do it.  Cast someone who does.  Period,  end of story.  That's life baby.

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 9.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-24-2019 07:46
    The issue is that in that show, Lurch is  what my students call , "a slave role". He's been offered two "servant" roles back to back. If you look at things historically, it can be a big issue. In this day and age of culturally responsive casting, we have to be aware of that. My question would be: are there OTHER minority actors cast in other major roles? If that's the case, point that out to him and make sure it's highlighted. If not, it might be time to examine casting protocols. 

--
    Dr. Doug Erwin
    Ferguson-Florissant K-12 Fine Arts Coordinator
    Director of Theatre Mc Cluer High School Thespian Troupe 787

2017 Maryville University Educator of the Year, Shakespeare Festival St. Louis
    2016  Arts and Education Art Educator of the Year, Greater St Louis Area
    2008 Japan Memorial Fulbright Program: Missouri Representative

1896 S New Florissant
    Florissant, MO 63031
    314-506-9583 

• 10.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-24-2019 07:52
    Very good point, Doug. Thank you.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 11.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-24-2019 08:16
    Yes.  The meeting went well. I'm well aware of the problem in casting him in a servant role. Based on his skills it was all I could offer him. Sadly we only had two black kids audition. One of the things we talked about was how we could get more kids of color interested in theater. But that's another thread. Thank you all. This has been extremely helpful!

Marcie Berglund
    Woodbury, Minnesota

• 12.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-25-2019 08:13
    This advice is spot on! And put much more delicately than I likely would.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearns.org

• 13.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 11:34
    In case you haven't had the meeting yet...

Explain why he received that role. If he still doesn't want it, offer him an ensemble role. Given the long history of black actors being marginalized/stereotyped into maid/servant roles, I can understand why he might not be interested in the part - if that is the real issue here.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 14.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 12:07
    Thank you everyone!  These comments just confirm my approach to this issue. What's really interesting is that I asked all the kids atbcall backs if there was a role they were not interested in playing. The young man did not speak up. 

And i I do recognize the issue with the role for him.  I just wanted to give him an opportunity to be a star cause he would rock it and I've told him that. 

But im ready to recast the role if he doesn't want to continue in it. Sigh.

Marcie Berglund
    Woodbury, Minnesota

• 15.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 12:41
    If you can build the student up by reassuring him he was cast because he is the best actor for the role, regardless of his skin color (which didn't even enter your mind), perhaps he will come around. If he is still uncomfortable playing the role, I'm not sure there's much you can do but be sensitive to his feelings, even if you disagree.

• 16.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-23-2019 13:27
    Something I always do with students is I meet with them one on one and tell them why they are cast in the role they were. I usually find it helps them be okay with the role they get and helps them understand why they are that role. I would listen to his complaints, recognize them, but emphasize all the positives. You can't make them okay with the role they are, but if you emphasize all the benefits of it, I find that most kids can find peace with it

Jaclyn Marta
    Moline IL

• 17.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-25-2019 08:11
    This is what I have been thinking about related to this issue.  Since we already know that this student is sensitive to casting in servant roles. a good practice would be to meet with him in advance of announcing the cast so that you can bring him into the tent.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearns.org

• 18.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-28-2019 08:29
    Yes. I wanted to meet with him and talk about it but my vocal director who is a teacher (I am a contractor) said to wait til he approached me.  I should have met with the student prior. But our meeting did go well and there will be some things I'll do now regarding casting and making myself more readily and easily available to talk about casting to individual students if they wish.

Marcie Berglund
    Woodbury, Minnesota

• 19.  RE: Casting

Posted 09-29-2019 12:15
    NB to the conversation:
    In education, I feel we have a responsibility to make productions a learning experience. The reality I have seen on the secondary-school and higher-education levels (including graduate school), there is a delicate balance between artistic desire (i.e., student would be great in a role, production would benefit from the casting of a student) and educational purpose (i.e., student should be challenged by a role, production may or may not benefit, requires more coaching).

When I taught at the college level, I had an African-American student who resisted the professor-director's choice of casting him as Belize/Mr. Lies in Angels. My PhD is in historical and contemporary African-American performance, so I was asked by my colleague to talk him into taking the role, even though I am a white woman. We had a tough conversation. He felt Belize was not a challenge for him since his public persona was very Belize-like (in his words, "a black queen playing a black queen"). I felt uncomfortable giving him a one-sided argument. I ended up reading several scenes from the play with him in our meeting. We talked about Kushner's choice to make Belize a truth-teller and Mr. Lies, well, a liar. The character's depth went beyond the initial presentation in the play of a "black queen." The student ended up performing the role, and he was brilliant.

Annemarie Bean
    Director of Drama
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT

• 20.  RE: Casting

Posted 10-10-2019 06:10
    Hi, Marcie, the advice on this thread already looks wonderful. I would like to just note something about the language. We are often taught (as I was too) that the talent of the students have to be expended, therefore they have to be used and even when we don't use this language in a classroom, the students can get a wind of this. I am not advising as much as using this opportunity to see if we could revise this using of talent to maybe change the conversation into being about finding the right fit, perhaps?

Lisa Coy
    New York NY