Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Long shot Question

Posted 04-22-2022 10:15
    While thinking of next year's One Act Competition, my student committee has requested some options that are "quirky."  We performed Donald Marguelis' SHIPWRECKED a few seasons ago, and they loved it.  I'm reaching out to see if anyone can recommend something along those lines - multiple roles, improvised settings, high energy

I'm all ears. 

--

Keith Rollins

MCHS Drama Director

Thespian Troupe #596

706-695-1414

This is a staff email account managed by Murray County School District.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

• 2.  RE: Long shot Question

Posted 04-23-2022 09:37
    Following cause I also love this quirkiness genre. 

Also I licensed them directly from the companies that devised them, I did My Love Lies Frozen in The Ice by Dead Rabbits Theatre and A Clown Show about Rain by Silent Faces Theatre the last few years and had an amazing time with both. 

Peter and the Starcatcher may also fit the bill. 

Something about those British theatremakers, so willing to be a bit weird.

------------------------------
    Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School

• 3.  RE: Long shot Question

Posted 04-23-2022 10:10
    Failure: A Love Story might fit - it's definitely quirky. There is a one act version that is available. https://www.playscripts.com/play/2695
    Also take a look at Wiley and the Hairy Man. It requires a lot of energy from the ensemble, which create most of the settings. Wiley and the Hairy Man 

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Long shot Question

Posted 04-24-2022 14:43
    If you haven't yet, check out Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind. I think it checks all of those boxes.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School
    WA

• 5.  RE: Long shot Question

Posted 04-25-2022 13:03
    HI,
     I am wondering if the Shipwrecked play has to be a cast for three?  It looks interesting but I need more people than that for a cast.
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    EdTA Member or Troupe Director
    Rutland High School
    VT

• 6.  RE: Long shot Question

Posted 04-25-2022 13:13
    I saw it with 6

• 7.  RE: Long shot Question

Posted 04-25-2022 07:38
    I'm following as well. I think any of Hilary DiPiano's commedia adaptations could work, maybe Don Zolidas' How to Survive Being in a Shakespeare Play, and any of the Reduced Shakespeare Company's Complete Works. Also this: A Simpler Time by Jonathan Dorf | Playscripts Inc. None of these suggestions are too original, but maybe something will trigger another idea.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA