Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New York Tour Group Recommendations

Posted 02-14-2022 08:27
    I am trying to take a group to New York for the first time next spring, and I am having some difficulty parcing through all the available tour groups. Does anyone have recommendations for which groups offer the best packages for high school Drama students?

------------------------------
    Greg Bailey
    Temecula Valley High School

• 2.  RE: New York Tour Group Recommendations

Posted 02-15-2022 07:27
    Good Morning,
      I have used www.etadventures.com a couple of times and worked with Michael Holzer. Their pricing has been reasonable and they have worked with us to make the trip fit our budget, tailor it to meet our group's needs etc.  Most importantly, they have always been reliable and responsive.  Would definitely recommend.

Best wishes,
    Guy

Guy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown High School
    MD

• 3.  RE: New York Tour Group Recommendations

Posted 02-15-2022 09:13
    It takes a bit more time but in the past I have organized my own trips because I found that the tour groups really didn't give me what I wanted/needed

Prepandemic I took 40 students to New York every year. Generally my mission is to get as much theater for as little money per student as possible. I found that none of the tour companies quite were looking at the trip the same way I was and also I have found I can do the trip for about 2 to 300 less per student for a weekend. 

Here is what my trip looks like and will share resources I used to line it up.
    I book buses cause I am relatively close but for another trip I used Studentuniverse.com for group flight bookings, they were great.

https://uscoachways.hotelplanner.com/Group-Rate/ is what I use for booking hotels. I always book something right in Times Square. It really isn't worth the hassle of needing to train back and forth. I have stayed at Citadines, Hilton Garden Inn Times Square and both were great but looks at who has good rates, and then check yelp reviews. Avoid the "historic" hotels. It can take a few days for all the bids to come in. 

For broadway group tickets I use Broadwayinbound.com. they are really great and flexible. If you request more tickets than you need it it no problem to reduce the number. I typically do 3 broadway shows. 

I do an improv show. I am not sure the current landscape of NYC improv theatre wise. North Coast is a fantastic hip hop/rap improv group that is currently performing out of Improv Asylum New York but Magnet and People's Improv Theater also have a lot of great options. None in Times Square Area any more since Upright Citizens Brigade closed. 

New York Neofuturists' The Infinite Wrench. a show where they do 30 original 2 minute plays in an hour every week. With new plays every week. It's my favorite thing but also def for a more mature crowd $16 (it's a 1030pm show) and the plays range from absolutely silly to occasionally having nudity (was a beautiful and powerful play about the performer being assaulted by her gymnastics instructor so she was changing into a gymnastics leotard) Highly recommend for art that is nothing like anything else they have seen. 

Radio City Music Hall tour (18 per person)

There are a bunch more things you could book in terms of day tours, etc. But this is what I do and avoids the extra cost attached to tour companies. 

Happy to answer any follow up questions

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School

• 4.  RE: New York Tour Group Recommendations

Posted 02-15-2022 13:15
    Greg, you probably ought to keep in mind that theatres in NYC are requiring a vaccination card and picture ID for all audience members. 

Since this is now part of the Equity protocol, that requirement is not contingent on whether NYC continues to have a vaccination requirement for indoor spaces, so you might want to make sure students are aware of it as you are planning your trip.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC

• 5.  RE: New York Tour Group Recommendations

Posted 02-16-2022 14:33
    I have used  EF TOURS for past 20 years, including international and domestic tours. They've been wonderful, helpful, reliable, and always at a competitive price.
    We've had a score of tur guides, and all have been super. We're traveling with them again this summer to London. Check them out.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director

• 6.  RE: New York Tour Group Recommendations

Posted 03-09-2022 12:58
    We've used  Bob Rogers Travel for decades and had good experiences with our NYC trips.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    MI