Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Students on the spectrum

Posted 10-05-2022 13:39
    Improv and students on the spectrum- any suggestions?  I have one actor who makes EVERYTHING Star Wars.  How can I sift his energy to creating and responding to offers?

------------------------------
    Lesley Ruzon (she, her, hers)
    Moreland Middle School
    San Jose, CA

• 2.  RE: Students on the spectrum

Posted 10-08-2022 11:15
      |   view attached
    Lesley - 

I mean... Star Wars is pretty great. ; ) 

Building decision making skills will likely take time. It's only a start, but have you tried using a choice board? For instance, you could play "Gift Giving" (lesson plan & choice board attached) and inform the students that everyone has to choose something from the choice board. Perhaps this will break the "always Star Wars" instinct and begin the process of expanding his choices.

Or, you could direct everyone to play one round as normal. Then, during the second round, you could give the instruction that each student needs to make an entirely new choice.  If he goes back to his Starwars choice, you could then provide the choice board as a support to help his brainstorm or choose something different.

Kirsti Lewis
    PeopleLikeUsDoc.com
    We help theatre educators create more effective learning environments for students with developmental disabilities.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Gift Giving.pdf   2.62 MB 1 version