Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Radium Girls Co-Curricular Activities

Posted 05-08-2017 13:40
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to produce Radium Girls next fall (based on the great reviews the show has received in this forum!) Has anyone done any co-curricular activities based on this play? I can see great connections with science, history, women's studies, business....  I'd love to hear what you've done or even just your brainstorms if you're familiar with the play.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

David

------------------------------
    David Sturdevant
    Drama Teacher
    Middleburg Academy
    Middleburg VA

• 2.  RE: Radium Girls Co-Curricular Activities

Posted 05-09-2017 09:35
    Hi David, 
    I'm directing this play in the Autumn, as well. I can't wait- I've wanted to direct it for some time now. I've not created any cross-curricular resources yet; however, our entire upper school faculty and students are reading Radioactive by Lauren Redniss. Each curriculum area are planning a response from their curriculum perspective, which will culminate in November, with the performance and a panel discussion (post show, hopefully with Redniss- TBC). 
    Let me know if you'd like to collaborate further- even just a brainstorming session on the phone. I'm planning a stylized, physical theatre approach. 
    Best-
    Nicole

Nicole Tremblay
    Park Tudor
    Director of Theater
    Indianapolis IN

• 3.  RE: Radium Girls Co-Curricular Activities

Posted 05-09-2017 12:24
    When I produced the play, I didn't do any co-curricular activities, but I did send a packet of information (well ahead of production date) to the History and Science classes not only in our school, but in our district.  I also reached out to local Community Colleges who had a Radiology program--turns out they were teaching about the Radium Girls right around when we were producing the play--they sent students to come see the play.  I think many teachers across the district gave extra credit if students came to the show--we had larger than normal crowds.
    Good luck with your productions!

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA