Open Forum

View Only

Top two shows... need help :)

• 1.  Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-20-2017 09:03
    Good Afternoon,
    I teach in a conservative community and we will be opening our new auditorium this fall. For the first time in 9 years I have more female talent returning than male to showcase. The two titles I keep going back to that I feel are safe (as in nothing my community would raise an eye brow) is Radium Girls & Anatomy of Gray. Both are titles I keep going back to throughout the years, but never had enough male roles to cater to. Would anyone recommend one over the other? Would one be a better opener? I feel a little pressure to select something special with it being the first show in the auditorium. I love that Radium Girls is based on a true story and can have an expandable cast and co-curricular opportunities. Anatomy of Gray could showcase one of the males returning who is very talented and I feel like it's written in a way to appeal... I like the way it's written & you could add to the cast with additional townspeople. Also I was curious how tough costuming was since both would need time appropriate pieces & lighting effects are crucial to both.

Would love your input!

Samantha Roop
    --

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning,
    growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please
    immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail
    transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged
    information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the
    Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health
    Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is
    intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is
    intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 2.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-21-2017 07:16
    Here are two recommendations:

Laurie Brooks' play Triangle is also based on actual events. 

Also Sandra Asher's play Ark 5 has some strong female characters. It's a futuristic reselling of the Joan of Arc story. 

------------------------------
    Peter Duffy

• 3.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-22-2017 12:08
    Hi.  I did Letters to Sala last fall and it was very successful.  Very heavy female cast - not much to showcase in way of males, but provides ample opportunity for extracurricular learning about the holocaust. We had a lovely experience.  If you'd like more information on it please let me know. True story too, and the main character Sala is still alive!

Pauline Maranian
    Costa Mesa CA

• 4.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-21-2017 08:12
    I love both plays, but worry that the reference to not keeping the baby in Gray will rattle my conservative community. (Same author's The Diviners was a huge hit with a showcase for a strong male, too!).

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-21-2017 10:54
    I have done Anatomy of Gray.  Great acting exercise. It was one of those years that I had a perfect cast to do it.  It is still one of my favorites.  However, some subject matter might not sit well with conservative communities.  Examples--a sixteen year old girl wanting to run away with an older man, a Jewish man in a Christian community, thinking of abortion, and a slightly off center minister. A safer choice might be William Gibson's The Miracle Worker.  Three great roles for women.  Another great women heavy play is The Women of Lochabee. Check it out.    Radium Girls is great.  However, my students found it "boring".  Catch phrase of teenagers when they don't understand it.

Roger Graziani
    West Covina CA

• 6.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-21-2017 12:19

​I just closed Radium Girls, and it was the most positive feedback I have received in the 9 years I have been at this school. Roeder is as much a main character as is Grace, and our Roeder captivated the audience throughout. Playing him is much more complex and challenging because he is more conflicted, and his objectives change. Your talented boy should love playing him. It is a great story and so well-written.  Costuming isn't too challenging because many characters are poorer and middle class. Many of the male characters are in suits or lab coats. This should meet all your needs.

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford

• 7.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-22-2017 09:51
    I looked at doing Radium Girls and ended up doing another show based on the same thing These Shining Lives. Read that one as well.

Candice Corcoran
    Kennesaw GA

• 8.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-22-2017 09:57
    I second Laurie Brooks' Triangle, about the Triangle Factory Fire. We did it a few years ago, and it's a beautiful show with lots of flexibility and creative staging opportunities. We kept the ensemble on stage the whole time and costumed very simply. I also agree that you should look at These Shining Lives. I prefer the writing in that version over Radium Girls.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 9.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-22-2017 10:19
    I strongly recommend Melanie Marnich's These Shining Lives.  It is the same topic as Radium Girls but about a different historical incident. It is exquisitely written. We performed it several years ago and it was a transformative experience for my kids. One just performed it  at the Stella Adler school at NYU as a college senior and told me how well it was received there too.  By all means READ IT. There is a website where all of the newpaper articles about the incident have been preserved and kids can read all about their historical counterparts.

Maggie Ward
    Timonium MD

• 10.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-22-2017 10:46
    Check out THE TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE PROJECT by Chris Piehler. In my opinion, it is a more believable script in recounting a historical event than TRIANGLE.  As the title suggests, it is not your usual play. It has been described as a "theatre documentary" (like Larrame Project) with sections of verbatim theatre. Great tie in's to 9/11 and to contemporary workplace injustices. It is on my "To Do" list!

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School

• 11.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-22-2017 12:25
    I highly recommend Letters to Sala and Radium Girls.  We just closed Letters to Sala and did Radium Girls two years ago.  Sala has fewer males roles if that is of relevance to you.  Both have wonderful opportunities for dramaturgy and the students can research the people their characters are based on.  Audience feedback from both shows was very positive.  Good luck!

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA

• 12.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-22-2017 16:38
    What a difficult situation to choose something based on its ability to not offend. No one would come to a play about amiable people sitting in a comfortable environment talking about safe subjects. The first rule of theater is "don't bore the audience. 

Some people will find offense even when none is intended. At my wife's high school. a student wrote a play about acceptance of homosexuality. A mother, who did not have children in the school, complained to the principle about the play. In the meeting the woman said she did not approve of the subject matter and did not want to be made to feel guilty about her prejudices. Ironically, the student was actually talking about being devoutly Christian and found homosexuality to be a safer metaphor than actually talking about being attacked for her religion.

Another humorous example: I went to a very conservative college. We were doing a stage version of the film of Rashamon. The subjects of the play include rape/adultery and murder. Four different characters tell the same story from different points of view. In a blackout between two of the stories, the actors playing the bandit and the samurai were breathing hard because they had just fought a duel. A woman complained because she was sure that the  heavy breathing was because the actors were having sex on stage in the blackout.

Art, especially theatre, is intended to reflect human nature. Human nature is complex, messy and sometimes downright ugly. Of all things, it is not safe.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 13.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-23-2017 11:14
    James, I completely understand (thank you for the chuckle), however, our community is very sensitive to certain topics. For example, my students performed Almost, Maine a few years ago and one parent went to the news over the scene "They Fell" it was an amazing show, but we were constantly being beaten down by different religious organizations in the area throughout the process because (although misinformed of the nature of the scene they felt that the suggestion of homosexuality was wrong) the attention that was brought to our Theatre Department (in a time when we were trying to pass our bond issue for the auditorium) and after that experience per admin I now have to have a play committee involved with selecting our season. I wish it wasn't this way, but they are fine with Anything Goes, Grease, and Little Shop.... It's a fine line and mostly our religious organizations are the MOST offended. 

Samantha Roop, Ed.S.
    DHS Theatre Department 
    ITS Troupe Director #5087 
    Play & Musical Director
    Varsity Football & Wrestling Head Cheer Coach 
    Spirit Club Sponsor
    Office Phone: 636.586.1050 Ext. 26
    Twitter: @DHSTheatreDept, @DHS_Cheer_, & @DHSDSquad
    De Soto High School.815 Amvets Drive. De Soto, MO 63020

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning, growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 14.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-23-2017 11:26
    Theatre Professionals,
    I am extremely thankful for the feedback that I have received in this community! Thank you so much! My only issue is now you have me thinking that maybe I don't have my top two narrowed down, by providing me with so many different suggestions. For those of you who have produced Radium and These Shining Lives was there a reasoning for one over the other?  I know Radium Girls has some expandable options, does These Shining Lives? Can anyone way the pros and cons between the two or your reasoning for doing one over the other? I know some of you mentioned a few things already.
    Thank you!

Samantha Roop, Ed.S.
    DHS Theatre Department 
    ITS Troupe Director #5087 
    Play & Musical Director

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning, growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 15.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-23-2017 13:08
    I love These Shining Lives! There are nine male parts if you don't double, but some of them are very small and only in one scene each. There are two reporters, both small roles, that could be played by women. Also, you could have extra women workers in the background (but they wouldn't have any lines and I would argue that it would take away from the intimate story that is being told) and they could also be part of the commercial.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 16.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 07-16-2017 23:26
    We loved Radium Girls because it's a larger cast, and little need to double. Four leads must be strong. We took it to state and we were well received. We used a multi-level open staged set with projections from the period which were very effective. We also created an amazing soundscape to punctuate each scene. These Shining Lives is a much smaller show. Hope you make the right decision for your students.

Betsy Bishop
    Theatre Producer/Director
    Ashland OR

• 17.  RE: Top two shows... need help :)

Posted 05-23-2017 09:20
    We did Jon Jory's Adaptation of Pride and Prejudice this Fall.  It was an excellent challenge and gave me the opportunity to showcase several very talented senior girls.  I teach and direct at a small Catholic high school, so we are also somewhat limited in what we can produce, and the new adaptation of Pride and Prejudice was great combination of a classic story and contemporary theater.  Even though is was a "safe" show, it gave us the opportunity to talk about privilege, society, social expectations, and class.  Sometimes a show that does not initially appear to be tackling current issues can speak to them in significant ways.

Theresa Velazquez
    St Charles MO