Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Acoustic shields

Posted 10-24-2018 14:09
    Hello Theatre Minds:
    Has anyone ever used acoustic shields in their orchestra pits?  I am thinking about using them for our musical.  I am concerned about audience visibility.
    Can you recommend a brand or company?
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Tracey Buot
    Performing Arts Dept. Chair
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 2.  RE: Acoustic shields

Posted 10-24-2018 15:29

The typical acoustic shields made of Plexiglas are usually only effective at keeping the sound of one instrument out of the microphone of another near by. What I find most people really need in a pit is something that absorbs sound, not reflect it, since many pits use few microphones in an educational setting. IF you are indeed looking for a reflective shield, Clearsonic makes cost effective ones. they are transparent and tend to blend in well. 

If you are looking for absorption, we have had success with old theatrical curtains and pipe and drape, rugs, and even packing blankets strategically placed. If you have a physical pit, having acoustical foam installed on the wall in certain areas is a good route. I strongly encourage keeping your music director in the loop. Changing the sound of a space, and placement of reflective shields really effects the dynamics of musicians, and they will want to weigh in. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Acoustic shields

Posted 10-24-2018 17:57
    Thanks David.  My musical director is the one that is suggesting this.  I don't have a physical pit.  They play on the house floor in front of the audience.

Tracey Buot
    Performing Arts Dept. Chair
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 4.  RE: Acoustic shields

Posted 10-25-2018 09:59

An old space I use to manage had to have the pit in a similar location. It was difficult as we did not have the the budget to mic the actors. Thankfully this was a college setting and they were able to carry over the pit. In that situation, we set up pipe and boom bases or pipe and drape about 3' high to outline the perimeter of the pit. The thick curtains were very helpful in creating a dark barrier to help the pit blend in, and absorbed quite a bit to help balance sound acoustically. 

Good luck! It can be a tough spot to be in.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 5.  RE: Acoustic shields

Posted 10-25-2018 12:19
    The best low-cost sound absorption panels I have ever used we're made in-house using donated hotel towels whipstiched together in 5 layers and attached to a wooden frame.  With a little black or color appropriate fabric, it can look nice also.  

Robert Gose
    Theatre Teacher
    JCPS
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Acoustic shields

Posted 10-25-2018 23:24

Note that flat acrylic or wood (or any material) panels will bounce the sound energy directly back at the musicians, which can be fairly loud for them (and anyone on-stage.

If you utilize curved panels (4-8' radius) with the curve bending AWAY from the musicians (i.e. 'convex'), then the sound that is reflected is spread horizontally so other musicians in the pit area can better hear the musician directly in front of the panel, and similarly, the sound is spread across more of the stage.  When the sound is spread-out, the intensity is less.

You can build fairly good curved acoustic reflectors by cutting a 2x6 or 2x8 in a chord arc that is slightly less than 4' across and either 5" or 7" deep.  Then bend a couple of layers of 1/4" tempered pressboard or 1/4" plywood around the curved face and secure it with wood screws at about 4" o.c. along the curve.  One chord brace at the top, and another at the bottom will usually suffice for a 3'-4' tall panel. Paint with fire retardant, then paint to suit the pit decor.  The flat face of the reflectors would face the audience, and can be covered with fabric or drapery depending upon the look you want.

Connect the sections together end-to-end with some loose-pin hinges for easy disassembly.  If you curve the whole row of panels, then it can be fairly well self-supporting.  You may want to add some stage weights or sandbags in the deep part of the arc at the bottom for extra stability.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems