Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  25th Annual

Posted 09-13-2015 17:10

Has anyone done THE 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM SPELLING BEE and added an ensemble for some numbers? I don't know if it is possible, looking at it briefly it looks like it might be possible. I thought it would be easiest to ask if anyone has already done that.

------------------------------
    Mark Zortman
    PA Chapter Director
    York PA

• 2.  RE: 25th Annual

Posted 09-14-2015 08:54

Yes, I have. I put the ensemble in the audience, posing as parents, friends, and relatives of the spellers. They had to remain in character when interacting with the actual audience pre-show and during intermission, which gave them more to do. During the numbers (especially Pandemonium), they would either run up on stage, in front of the stage, or dance in their seats. It was really fun, and a good way to get more kids involved.

Kathleen Tissot
    Brooklyn WI

• 3.  RE: 25th Annual

Posted 09-14-2015 09:13

I did Spelling Bee a few years ago. I added an ensemble of about 15 kids. I called them "the Putnam County Board of Education." I added a few lines in the beginning, introducing them as esteemed guests. Then throughout the play they were the actors who took all the extra parts( 2 dads, parents, Jesus ). They were on stage the entire time, applauding spellers, reacting to the contest, etc. during "Pandemonium" they reacted to the kids as adults might and we involved them in the choreography. I have a no-cut policy, so to create even more parts all my spellers from the audience were planted students. I let them create their own characters and involved them more. This allowed me to cast about 25-30 kids instead of 9. 

Fran Young
    Verona High School
    Verona NJ

• 4.  RE: 25th Annual

Posted 09-14-2015 09:33

Yes, we did it that way - we were able to get a lot more people in the cast by not doubling characters and putting understudies onstage as extra spellers who supported vocally.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher

Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 5.  RE: 25th Annual

Posted 09-14-2015 11:10

Hello,

We expanded the ensemble by adding more spelling contestants.  We anchored the stage with two sets of risers for them.  They were also used to  assist in "Six Languages". 

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 6.  RE: 25th Annual

Posted 09-15-2015 09:32

We did similar casting to what has already been posted, but then we also had a group of cheerleaders. The students developed their own characters and cheered on the spellers, assisted with bringing volunteers on and off the stage, and had their own "half time routine" at the end of intermission. 

Stacey Drenk
    English Teacher/Drama Coach
    Wausau West High School
    Wausau WI

• 7.  RE: 25th Annual

Posted 09-23-2015 21:18

Hi, Mark, and congratulations on considering PUTNAM! Mounting that show was one of the happiest times I've ever spent with a musical.

I went out on a limb and cast two sisters-twins-as Mitch Mahoney's entourage. They didn't say a word but danced a lot and were quite busy, all around. They nearly stole the show. 

The PANDEMONIUM song begs for as much ensemble participation as you can muster. We added flag girls, a few athletes, a child tap dancer, some stilt walkers, and the choreographer, the TD and I all came on doing things. The stage and the floor were jammed. In the end, some members of the crew dumped confetti from the lighting bridge, and one of the custodians (who also guest starred as Jesus) swept up. The audience went berserk.

Have fun. 

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA

• 8.  RE: 25th Annual

Posted 10-08-2015 09:41

Yes! I did this show last year and loved it! 

I added the Coneybear family as an improvised pre-show/intermission entertainment. They would interact with the audience in character and preview people for our audience "volunteers". They would also get on stage during some of Leaf's moments, and were a big part of the chaos of Pandemonium. 

I also turned Mitch Mahoney's role into a chorus of nine girls from "Mahoney's Home for Wayward Girls". They took on a lot of the fa-la-la's of support behind things like "I Love My Dictionary" and became a Greek chorus of sorts. Lots of dancing and harmony work, and it turned out great! 

Have fun!

Katy Nuttman
    Theatre and English Instructor
    Auburn WA