Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Audacity question

Posted 08-21-2020 12:42
    I am converting the technical theatre sound lesson from EdTA's Theatre Pro, Walk A  Mile in My Shoes, (https://learn.schooltheatre.org/walk-a-mile-sound-design) to a lesson for my students on Canvas. The final project suggests using Audacity to create the soundscape.  Does anyone know if Audacity can be used on Chromebooks?  Most of my students will be working on Google to create content but I am not sure how to do that with sound.  They also have access to WeVideo so perhaps I should adapt the assignment for that software or platform. 

Any technical folks have some ideas about the best way to approach making a soundscape without downloading a computer program?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 2.  RE: Audacity question

Posted 08-22-2020 10:21

Hi Marla,

I teach a workshop on voiceover work using Audacity. You can download it on a PC or a Mac. I don't know of a way to complete the project as described without using some software you'll have to download.

Gordon

Gordon Hensley (he/him/his)
    Professor, Teaching Artist, Theatre Education Program Director
    Appalachian State University Department of Theatre & Dance

Gordon Hensley
    Professor & Theatre Education Program Director
    Boone NC

• 3.  RE: Audacity question

Posted 08-22-2020 11:10
    I found that Wavepad is better for me than audacity but I don't know if it works on Chromebooks. I have a MAC and Wavepad eliminates the step on converting the format. You can save it in several formats.

Zoraida Adams
    Drama Department Cair
    Boca Raton FL

• 4.  RE: Audacity question

Posted 08-23-2020 08:54
    @Gordon Hensley

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your response. How can I take your course? Do you think that is the best software to use with Junior High?

Thanks,

Maria Stadtmueller 
    StadtFamily@Juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 5.  RE: Audacity question

Posted 08-25-2020 09:25

Maria, I usually present this workshop at conferences rather than for individuals. I think your students may have a couple of options. Please email me and we'll talk about what might be best for your students. Hensleyg@appstate.edu
    Gordon

--
    Gordon Hensley (he/him/his)
    Professor, Teaching Artist, Theatre Education Program Director
    Appalachian State University Department of Theatre & Dance

Click here to schedule a meeting

If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by e-mail or telephone and destroy any copies of this information. All correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement. Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my agency. Access to this e-mail by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorized. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action.

• 6.  RE: Audacity question

Posted 09-16-2020 21:58
    https://beautifulaudioeditor.appspot.com/app?google-drive-action=create

This can be used on Chromebooks as it is browser based--it even saves to their Drive!

Julie Benitez
    El Cajon CA