Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Structuring online lessons

Posted 08-25-2020 14:26
    Would love to hear from some EdTAers who are feeling competent and brave in their remote teaching (those are qualities that are hard to come by, but I know this is the group to find them in!)

I wonder if anyone would be willing to share their rough sequence/flow for their online class periods (my personal circumstances are 40 minute sessions, 4 days a week with each class, remote learning only).

Really I'm just trying to form a template in my brain for how a "typical" day of class would go (first we do this for x minutes then we transition to this and then....). Obviously each day would vary based on what specifically you're working on at the time.

Like most of you, I finished the school year online last year, but those were ALREADY my kids and we were ALREADY working on stuff. Intimidated by this new way of starting (with many of the kids I'll not have met in person!)

Thanks always for the great insights I get from this community and for your willingness to share what works for you.

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Structuring online lessons

Posted 08-26-2020 08:45
    I created the following flow for 40-minute classes:
    5 min - warmups (usually 2 verbal and 2 physical)
    3 min - agenda/goals overview and attendance
    5-7 min - mini-lesson/modeling
    15-20 min - text work (this can be SSR, read-aloud, Class conversation, small group breakout rooms to rehearse, whatever)
    5-7 min - share out/discussion/closing

Showcase days are different. On days students are showing work to the whole class, we do slightly longer warmups, 20-25 minutes to showcase, and 10 minutes for written reflection and feedback at the end. We usually use 2 days for showcase, but I have big classes.

Sarah Baranoff
    Chicago IL

• 3.  RE: Structuring online lessons

Posted 09-06-2020 11:15

Fantastic point about starting remote learning with students you already knew and were already working on stuff!

I can't offer much right now.  I'm still in panic mode for a Wednesday start.

My hope is to design an online MONOLOGUE unit based on established chestnuts but also having them find poignant monologue-worthy material from their favorite YouTube talking heads.  

This material can be humorous or socially relevant (transcribing the short but heart-felt Doc Rivers speech from last week, for example). 

Zoom-time can be dedicated for entire class periods letting them search for both humor and socio-economic  monologues (two separate days) . 

Perhaps then students can share their findings with the class (another two days of zoom-time). 

Then the kids can record the monologues they found on Flipgrid (more zoom-time with you there to field technical questions) .

And then, of course, the sharing and of those re-created monologues from Flipgrid (sharing and discussion could take days depending on class size).

Ah, what I plan in my head is so perfect.  Reality, however...  Well we'll see.

Stephen Benjamin
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Garfield Heights OH