Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Need a comedy with some odd parameters

Posted 03-25-2022 12:52
    Hi
    I'm hoping for some suggestions. I need a very funny comedy for next fall. The challenge? I need something with a cast of 10-15. I teach at an all boys school (we do have girls come in for the shows) so it needs a male lead AND we have construction going on next year that may affect the theater so I need something that is light on set/props in case I'm performing in the cafeteria.

Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Dr. Doug Erwin
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair--St Louis Priory School
    Thespian Troupe 4702

• 2.  RE: Need a comedy with some odd parameters

Posted 03-25-2022 17:28
    Forgot! I also CAN'T do any Don Zolidis since I'll be doing one of Don's shows with my junior school boys!

Dr. Doug Erwin
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair--St Louis Priory School
    Thespian Troupe 4702

• 3.  RE: Need a comedy with some odd parameters

Posted 03-25-2022 18:02
    Clue is the only comedy I can think of with a large cast...or maybe Fools by Neil Simon.    

Julie Ingram
    Norris Middle School - Room 40
    8th Grade Language Arts/Reading & Intro to Theater Teacher

Parents - please sign-up for classroom notices at Remind.com
    Use the class codes below:
    ELA/Reading periods 1&2 - @cck2da
    ELA/Reading periods 3&4 - @424hhac
    Intro to Theatre period 6 - @k778cd
    Intro to Theatre period 7 -@hkdaf9hade
    - also available as a free app on your mobile device! :)

• 4.  RE: Need a comedy with some odd parameters

Posted 03-26-2022 06:21

I did The 39 Steps with a large cast. It could easily be mostly males.

• 5.  RE: Need a comedy with some odd parameters

Posted 03-26-2022 08:24
    Hello! Have you taken a look at New Play Exchange? 

I wish I would have known about this resource when I was teaching. They have a fantastic search engine where you can put in specifics (mostly male roles, comedy, high school, minimal set, etc.) and a list of suggestions will be sent your way. 

Most scripts are brand new, so won't have a popular, already well-known title, but more often than not you get to work directly with the playwright which is an awesome experience for the students. ��

Ellicia Elliott
    Artistic Director
    The Rude Mechanicals 

• 6.  RE: Need a comedy with some odd parameters

Posted 03-26-2022 09:48
    Look at "Leaving Iowa."  I did it 3 years ago at De Smet and I think it will work great for you.  Flexible cast, can be done on a proscenium stage or in the round. If you have questions, please reach out.

Kurt Knoedelseder
    Theatre Director/Theatre Manager

233 N. New Ballas Rd  |  St. Louis, MO 63141

P (314) 567-3500, ext. 1297  |  W desmet.org

1504814677839_PastedImage  1504814551129_PastedImage  1504814602122_PastedImage

1504814712533_PastedImage  

• 7.  RE: Need a comedy with some odd parameters

Posted 03-28-2022 13:13
    Douglas, you might look at The Mouse That Roared, a satire adapted from Leonard Wibberley's book by Christopher Sergel for Dramatic Publishing.  The basic premise is that a small country decides to declare war on the U.S.A. in order to lose and reap the benefits of the financial help we give to countries we have conquered.  But things go awry and the tiny country wins.  I think the play would resonate again with the situation in Ukraine and our fear of Russian nukes awakened again.  

It calls for a cast of 14M/16W but allows for doubling.  And only one of the female characters is part of a romantic duo.  Because of the way it is constructed you could easily isolate the scenes with your imported females for certain rehearsal days.

It takes place in multiple locations, and we used rolling set pieces that came in and left with the characters: a throne, a desk, etc.  I think it could work in your worst-case scenario of performing in your cafeteria. 

We had hilarious fun with it.  The longbows we constructed from PVC pipe and twine, dowel arrows tipped with rubber knitting needle point protectors, and plastic flower pot helmets remain among my favorite simple props we ever created.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC