Open Forum

View Only

Theatre Resources Online

• 1.  Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-15-2020 21:34
    Like many of you, I suddenly find myself at home for three weeks, at the very least.  Having just had our show indefinitely postponed (or canceled) just one week before opening night, I am feeling a bit listless.

Thought it was worth sharing suggestions for inspirational online theatre (shows, interviews, whatever ...)? 
    (Thanks for the information about The Met streaming performances, that's on my list!)

My rather quick search found:

Kennedy Center:
    https://www.kennedy-center.org/education/resources-for-educators/classroom-resources/media-and-interactives/ApplyFilter/?GradeBand=&ArtsSubject=Theater&OtherSubject=&Duration=&SearchText=&SortColumn=Title&SortDirection=Ascending

Was very excited to find this:
    https://www.bloomsbury.com/dr/digital-resources/products/drama-online/
    They say that they offer a 30 day free trial for institutions (schools), though I haven't done so (yet).  Might try tomorrow.
    It has all sorts of UK shows (RNT, RSC, Donmar, Globe), plus access to texts.

And the National Theatre has loads of stuff on YouTube, including lots of designers talking about their work (How We Made It section):
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ntdiscovertheatre

Anyone have other favorite places for theatre inspiration online?

------------------------------
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Lincoln MA

• 2.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-16-2020 07:31
    This one is more for your kids, but Laura Benanti just tweeted this weekend that she would gladly listen to any student that doesn't get to perform because of corona. Here's a link explaining more. It's a tear-jerker for sure. 

https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/laura-benanti-invites-students-to-sing-canceled-musicals.html?utm_source=fb&utm_campaign=vulture&utm_medium=s1

Corinne Tyo
    Theatre Teacher
    Dorchester District 2
    North Charleston SC

• 3.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-16-2020 09:23

HI!

These are great!  Thanks for sharing

For careers (and more information), I love Careers.Broadway (that's just .broadway. No .com , .edu, etc.)

It has a ton of articles and videos about every theatrical job imaginable (great for remote learning), and it has information about pathways to those jobs.

I've done a scavenger hunt with the website to get students acclimated to it, but I'm going to be using a lot of the techical theatre job pages during this time of schools off.

Best,
    Erin

Erin Moughon-Smith
    Teacher
    NY NY

• 4.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-17-2020 11:24
    Would you be willing to share your scavenger hunt?

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 5.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-17-2020 19:06
    This sounds fantastic, would you be willing to share the scavenger hunt?

Kendra Knoblock
    Teacher - Director
    Rome0 MI

• 6.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-18-2020 11:40
    Hi!

It's still in progress, but use it as you want!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l1ql2ebaYiHHqdGYKU2kVFjiHZDfycmJ-r4TXeDiuqg/edit?usp=sharing

--
    "How do I know what my play is about until I rehearse it?"
                               -- Bertolt Brecht

(she, her, hers)

• 7.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-18-2020 12:07
    It says I need permission

dosborne@p186x.com

donald osborne

Donald Osborne
    P186X
    Lake Peekskill NY

• 8.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-18-2020 13:37
    Hi all!

Try this link. I also can share anyone who wants it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RByX7x_A_sPY6OAr8zEPmhi5zGfPzk8Z-EZGdOlTzb4/edit?usp=sharing

--
    "How do I know what my play is about until I rehearse it?"
                               -- Bertolt Brecht

(she, her, hers)

• 9.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-16-2020 12:06
    I had my fellow SAG/AFTRA union members who perform (as I do in LA)radio plays live  with with other senior actors look for some resources for teachers.

Here are a couple. 

We are looking for more ideas, such as radio plays which classes can rehearse and create sound effects while at home.  I will post more as we discover them.

Gai Laing Jones
    President of Educational Theatre Association (EdTA), National Board Member of Educational Theatre Foundation (ETF), CETA Executive Board, DTASC Advocacy Director, SAG/AFTRA Member 
    www.gaijones.com

• 10.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-16-2020 22:59
    More resources for radio plays-Reddit*Podcast*Comments.    a place to look for old time radio scripts
    American Radio Theater Links-genericradio.com.   Vintage Radio Scripts Library
    SimplyScripts*Radio_all.  Old Time Radio from the Golden Age of Radio
    Script Reader Pro*best*comedy-scripts.   20 Best Comedy Scripts to read and download for free
    Theatrefolk*blog*create-perform.    Create and Perform a Radio Play

Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com

• 11.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-17-2020 09:32
    The Folger Shakespeare Library's podcast, Shakespeare Unlimited, is an excellent resource. It has interviews with actors, directors, historians, playwrights, educators on a wide range of Shakespeare-related subjects. Free, accessible, and really well curated. You could easily build lessons around their offerings.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    He/Him pronouns
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 12.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-17-2020 11:17
    The American THeatre wing has excellent videos on set design, costume design, lights and sound. The lights one is very good. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqMYsjHU5rU
    This will also lead you to others in this series or you can go to: the american Theatre wing Homepage - working in the theatre
    https://americantheatrewing.org/working-in-the-theatre/

Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 13.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-18-2020 09:05
    As a service to Florida Thespians, we have added a page on our website for Online Theatre Resources. We will continue to update it. 

Online theatre resources

Randall Adkison
    Theatre Director
    Tampa FL

• 14.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-18-2020 10:25
    These are some fantastic resources!  Thanks, everyone!

For my students, I'm not allowed to send links to anything with ad content ... and no YouTube, which really limits things. Glad to see that there are still many options among the suggestions that can work for my middle schoolers.

And TONS of stuff to keep me busy!!

Hang in there, everyone.

Kristin Hall
    Pronouns: she/her/hers
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Lincoln MA

• 15.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-18-2020 14:59
    Thank you for such great links Kristin!  Hello,  it's Cory Wilkerson, EdTA's Education Manager.  I wanted to let you and others know that at EdTA we are working feverishly to get resources in place to support you.  For starters- here is a guide to creating online learning experiences for your kids.  Click around the guide for lots of great links.  More formalized lessons to follow!  (PS- I'm writing to you the thread with my personal email address since I've been an EdTA member for years prior to starring work here.  To reach me at work try cwilkerson@schooltheatre.org)
    https://learn.schooltheatre.org/resources-for-creating-online-learning

Cory Wilkerson
    Education Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Palmyra PA

• 16.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-19-2020 09:52
    Hi Everyone!
    I created a brief online Intro to Theatre course (a little over 2 hrs. of content in short videos) through Udemy about a year ago. Basic terminology, how we define theatre and art, reading plays, etc. You are all welcome to it for FREE.

Use this URL to enroll:
    https://www.udemy.com/course/what-is-theatre-the-introduction-to-theater-basics-you-need/?couponCode=THEATRE4FREE
    or the coupon code: THEATRE4FREE

It has an UNLIMITED number of redemptions, so your students can enroll as well - however, the code is only good for the next 3 days (that's all Udemy will allow). Hope it can be of help (or at least give you some breathing room!)

Trace Crawford
    Drama Director, Hilliard Davidson High School
    www.hilliarddavidsontheatre.com
    hdvtechcrew.weebly.com
    www.tracecrawford.com

• 17.  RE: Theatre Resources Online

Posted 03-19-2020 11:45
    Our state closed our schools and is only allowing us to present "enrichment activities" at this time (no graded or required assignments).

I teach an Improv Theatre Class, which has been a challenge to create work that students can do to enrich their skills and understanding of improv. Here are some of the ideas I am currently developing.

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA