Open Forum

View Only

Acting Assessment prior to performance

• 1.  Acting Assessment prior to performance

Posted 12-01-2022 14:41
    Hey hive mind,
    Our production is co-curricular this year, so we've been using most of our class time the last few weeks learning music and exploring character and staging. The show is in January, but I need to give the class some kind of formal assessment for mid-terms this month. In past years when we weren't working on the production in class, I've given them scenes or monologues, but this year I wanted their whole focus to be on this musical. Last year I had them turn their songs into monologues, but that won't work this year because not everyone has a solo. I would really like to have them do something that is intertwined with our rehearsal work, whether it's creating a movement or mini-devised piece that complements one of the scenes or helps them deepen their understanding of their characters. Throughout the semester we've mostly focused on taking creative risks, using the actor's body, committing fully and with energy, and being an effective member of the ensemble. Do you have any ideas of a performance assessment I could use that plays to these goals and our rehearsal work? They will also have a written character profile and a personal written reflection on their rehearsal process and what they've learned throughout the semester. 

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA
    ------------------------------