Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What to do when the troupe has a “bad apple.”

Posted 03-11-2020 22:45
    I need some advice. Our fall musical created a star, and a monster. A senior who has been an energetic and entertaining part of our program for 5 years has just gone off the rails. He made terrible comments about other cast members from the fall show, derided the spring show and it's cast, and showed up at last Friday's opening with all intents of causing a disruption. Quick work by my tech director took care of the problem. After all this he thinks he is still part of the troupe and should receive his cords. I emphasize "honor and service society" to my troupe. He has been neither most of this year. Can you ask someone to leave; can you throw them out for actions unbecoming? Really, I've never had this problem before. I just know he is causing a wonderful group of kids great distress, and talking to him has not helped.

• 2.  RE: What to do when the troupe has a "bad apple."

Posted 03-12-2020 07:01
    From the Thespian Troupe Handbook:

Revoking Thespian member benefits

Official Thespian induction confers a lifetime membership. Thespians cannot be withdrawn from the national membership rolls and continue to receive subscriptions and other benefits that come directly from the National Office. However, troupe directors may suspend or withdraw a Thespian's status as a member in good standing of the local troupe for just cause, usually according to guidelines set in the troupe constitution and in consultation with the administration. Losing local good standing may affect major benefits that require a troupe director's authorization, including point awards, honor ranks, graduation recognition, troupe and chapter event participation, etc.

Whether or not a student in the troupe receives certain honors/recognition is at the Troupe Director's discretion.  I would talk to my admin first to give them a heads-up and make sure they were ready to back me up if the parent tried to go over my head.  

So sorry that you have to deal with this.  Best wishes,

~Guy

------------------------------
    Guy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown MD

• 3.  RE: What to do when the troupe has a "bad apple."

Posted 03-12-2020 10:44
    Thank you. I really appreciate the information and advice. 

• 4.  RE: What to do when the troupe has a "bad apple."

Posted 03-12-2020 12:39
    Good lord!

What Guy said - make certain your admin has your back and then cut him off - he's lost the right to be part of your program.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: What to do when the troupe has a "bad apple."

Posted 03-12-2020 19:51
    I agree. Make sure admin is willing to back you and then remove honors. I've had to do this in the past (only once - the story has continued in my program for years and I havent had that level of concern about student behavior and/or choices since) but an honor is just that. It is not a right and upholding the thespian pledge a student makes when they induct is important.

---------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz

Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ
    ---------------------------------

• 6.  RE: What to do when the troupe has a "bad apple."

Posted 03-20-2020 08:43
    Well said. Sorry that you had this experience. It does distract and cause drama outside of the production. Whatever you decide, make sure that you have administration backing.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School