Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sister Act

Posted 04-23-2018 14:17
    I am thinking about doing SIster Act for our musical next year.  I was wondering if anyone had done it with a non-african american Dolores? I am in Vermont.  
    Cathy

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-24-2018 08:26
    ​We did it last year and had great fun with it. The jokes in the script would not read without an African American Delores in my view. There are lots of references that will read better if your cast and crew (and audience for that matter) have a good understanding of Catholicism. If that's not your wheelhouse I would find a person to come in and consult. Its a wonderful show for girls!

Nell] [Lynch]
    Timonium MDMaggie

• 3.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-24-2018 23:18
    I'm sure people have done it, but it is not appropriate. There are lines and jokes written specifically for a black actor.

• 4.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-25-2018 13:50
    Thank you for the input. I emailed Music theatre International and they said it was not a must that she be black. I am on the fence at this point. I am also wondering about the murder song. Anybody have any suggestions for a musical with lots of girls and few males? 
    I am not a fan of Heathers. 
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 5.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-26-2018 09:43
    We are looking at Sister Act,  too. Thanks for posting. I'm following! CK :)

Carolyn Kovar
    McCluer North High School
    Ferguson-Florissant School District
    Florissant MO

• 6.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-26-2018 13:46
    Have you tried looking at Thoroughly Modern Millie or 9 to 5?

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 7.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-27-2018 03:24
    We did Sister Act last year with a Filipino lead and it worked out well. A really fun show, although I agree with the comment about an audience familiar with Catholic tradition being more receptive to the jokes. My students LOVED it! We are just closing 'Emma! A Pop Musical' and it has been a blast! Although my students were hesitant about it at first because it is not a "big musical", they quickly got invested and the audience is loving it, which feeds their energy. Highly recommend.

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 8.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-10-2019 22:13
    How expensive is this show?  I saw a price of $999 for the pre-recorded music alone?

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 9.  RE: Sister Act

Posted 04-22-2019 13:45
    We did sister act two years ago, one of my favorite shows to date. Small catholic school in northern Michigan, we did  it with a caucasian dolores and had to change some lines, still had the crowd laughing heartily. School is pretty strict so we had to change a few lines but it came off very well!

Bruce Udell
    Gaylord MI