Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Longer HS Readers Theatre Plays

Posted 10-26-2020 09:12
    I have been combing through some limited readers theatre textbooks in search of finding some substantive readers theatre plays. Unfortunately, what I'm finding consists mostly of either children's theatre, holiday theatre, or shortened plays that wouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes onstage to perform. 

My thought is that if I could find a solid readers theatre play, that might be a nice way to keep students more socially distanced onstage while still performing live.

I'm wondering if anyone has performed a full-length play readers theatre play, or at least something that takes over 30 minutes. I'm looking to cast between 8-15 students but am not necessarily looking to do Shakespeare or the Greeks since we recently did a classical play a year or so ago. Also, while I appreciate and love that it can be a student exercise to have them try adapting a work, I'm not sure if I have the time for that this year. I'm hoping to peruse some more ready-made readers theatre scripts good for high school that are at least a half hour long or more.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you!  :-)

------------------------------
    Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher
    Mukwonago WI

• 2.  RE: Longer HS Readers Theatre Plays

Posted 10-27-2020 10:09
    Hi Julie, 

I'd recommend "Under Milkwood" or "Spoon River Anthology". Both have very rich characters. 

Cheers, 
    Linda

Linda Apperson
    Stage Manager and Mentor
    Milwaukie OR

• 3.  RE: Longer HS Readers Theatre Plays

Posted 10-27-2020 10:11
      |   view attached
    A 45-minute version of Letters to Sala has been performed as a reading several times at the Sewanee Young Writers Conference, with a cast of twelve (using doubling). I'm attaching a manuscript copy. There are additional resources on the website letterstosala.com and Sala's daughter Ann Kirschner, the author of the book Sala's Gift is frequently available to talk to casts online, as am I. 
    Permissions and licensing are available through Dramatists Play Service. 
    If you want I also have a pdf of the short version with the stage directions marked for a reading. Just ask.
    And during these challenging times I'm also happy to send an updated manuscript of the full 90-minute version of Letters to Sala to anyone who sends me a request to arlene@barrowgroup.org

Arlene Hutton, playwright
    Letters to Sala
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand
    Kissed the Girls & Made Them Cry
    As It Is In Heaven
    Susie Sits Shiva (EdTA commission)

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org

• 4.  RE: Longer HS Readers Theatre Plays

Posted 10-27-2020 10:29
    What about looking into some Agatha Christie adaptations?  There are some nice ones out there that would lend themselves to Reader's Theatre. Witness for the Prosecution comes to mind, as most of the play is in a courtroom. You could maybe still do some very limited staging. Actors don't have to be on top of each other. There are some excellent one-act plays that could be pieced into an evening and work as readers theatre as well. One - Act playwrights:  Chekov, Tennessee Wiliams, Thornton Wilder, Eugene O'Neill, Arthur Miller, J. M. Barrie (some very fun ones!), Oscar Wilde, Synge, Yeats ..... introduce students and audience to some great playwrights. Just a thought!

Be well; stay well. Blessings.

Andrea Lee Roney
    North Penn High School Theatre Teacher, Producer, Director
    North Penn High Theatre Thespian Troupe 5464 Director
    1340 S. Valley Forge Road, Lansdale, PA   19446
    P: 215.853.1294

Pennsylvania Thespian Chapter Governing Board
    Educational Thespian Association Advocacy Leadership Network PA Representative
    Pennsylvania Arts Education Leadership Coalition