Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drama Textbook

Posted 04-23-2018 10:00

I am teaching drama next year at a high school where drama has not been taught since 2005.  I have been going through the old textbooks that were left in the prop room, but I am not really liking any of them.  Do any of you use a textbook?  Is there a textbook that you would recommend?

• 2.  RE: Drama Textbook

Posted 04-23-2018 15:59
    Our district uses The Stage and the School but I don't really care for it. Instead of a text book I utilize pieces from different techniques and allow students to choose their monologues and scenes from my fairly extensive script library. I would look at Creative Shakespeare by Fiona Banks though. She has lots of really good info and easy to follow exercises.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Drama Textbook

Posted 04-24-2018 09:51
    I do not use a text book. I do use Stage and school for some things and there are some scenes. I have a variety of books which I have the students read pieces of... Basic Drama Projects is good for the chapter on voice,  Gai Jones has a book which has lots of exercises and assignments. Depending on the interest if the students - the following books provide a variety of perspectives on theatre  -The Enjoyment of theatre, Theatre Collaborative Art , Theatre - Art In Action - 
    Cathy 

• 4.  RE: Drama Textbook

Posted 04-24-2018 15:12
    BASIC DRAMA PROJECTS by Fran Tanner is an excellent text, as is THEATRE: Art in Action, by Rob Taylor and Bob Strickland (published by National Textbook Company).

Nancy Bernhard, retired
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA

• 5.  RE: Drama Textbook

Posted 04-25-2018 10:05
    I'm using an online curriculum from TheatreFolk.com, and I really like it a lot. It has worksheets, exercises, and daily plans. I usually add or take things away to fit my class better, but it's worked really well for me this year.

Petra Pearce
    San Antonio TX

• 6.  RE: Drama Textbook

Posted 04-26-2018 09:22
    I found myself in a similar situation a number of year ago. It was hard to find a basic textbook for the process of acting -- so I wrote one. It is called Anatomy of a Choice: An Actor's Guide to Text Analysis. I am happy to send you a copy if you are interested in looking at it.

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA