Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Main Curtain Pleating & Fullness

Posted 01-07-2021 16:27
    So we are getting a curtain for our little theatre and I am in charge of getting specs together.  Is there a standard or traditional pleat and fullness for a min curtain?  It will be on a pull track, not raised.  It will be black.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Scott Bier
    Whittier, CA

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back."

• 2.  RE: Main Curtain Pleating & Fullness

Posted 01-08-2021 06:39
    There are several different thoughts on this...

I like the 50% full method, this is what is at many facilities, they use 1-1/2 times the fabric to make the length of the panel, pleats are standard in this type of construction and carriers are typically spaced at 12" increments for curtain track carriers.

If sound assistance is needed for the curtain, it can be made 75% or 100% full, this has been done where additional sound dampening is required, again the % is the additional length of fabric used to make your size panel.

50% on 20'W curtain they use 30' fabric
    75% on 20'W curtain they use 35' fabric
    100% on 20'W curtain they use 40' fabric

Another thought is for clean looking flat curtains with no fullness, in this application the panel is sewn without ant additional material and in a flat panel, if you want the panel to be flat at times and ruffled at others you would make the panel longer and you could use it as flat or with fullness by pulling it out.

I would strongly recommend that you use synthetic velour fabric, which is inherently flameproofed instead of cotton velour which requires flame retreatment in the future.
    Also look at the weight of the curtain fabric, in a traditional theatre 25oz is used for main curtains and 20oz for masking curtains, sometimes if cost is a issue the masking go to 16oz and the main to the 20oz

Please note when measuring for your curtains... the height of the panel that we typically recommend is from the center of your trim chain to 1-1/2" off the floor(we lay a 2x4 flat on the floor when hanging for proper height), we see many facilities where there is 3 or 4 inches from the floor which allows you to see under the panel when closed, or the curtain drags on the floor lessening it's longevity.

I hope this information is helpful and good luck on your endeavors.

Jerry Onik
    VP Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Main Curtain Pleating & Fullness

Posted 01-08-2021 12:17
    Jerry, thank you so much for the useful information!

Scott

Scott Bier
    Whittier, CA

"Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back."