Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Big Fish small cast version v. original

Posted 10-21-2021 14:06
    Anyone done the small cast version of Big Fish who can offer perspective on the differences between it and the full cast version? Thanks.

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    MI

• 2.  RE: Big Fish small cast version v. original

Posted 10-21-2021 14:56

I don't know all the differences, but I'm fairly certain the small cast version has "River Between Us" instead of "Showdown." Some people feel Showdown doesn't make sense, but I'm partial to it.  You just have to remember that it's a dream sequence, fueled by the fact that Edward was watching a western on TV before Will came in and accused him of hiding things, and Edward felt attacked.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    OR

• 3.  RE: Big Fish small cast version v. original

Posted 10-22-2021 19:17

The main changes from the full version to the small cast edition are: 

1. In BIG FISH Small Cast, Sandra's song, "Two Men in My Life" is replaced with a new song from Boston, "Magic in the Man." 

2. In BIG FISH Small Cast, "Showdown" is replaced with "This River Between Us." 

3. In BIG FISH Small Cast, song #14 "Red, White and True" and its scene are cut (one too many large chorus numbers). 

Regarding casting, 5 female, 6 male, 1 boy and 1 gender flexible featured roles is correct for both versions of BIG FISH. Dr. Bennett could be male or female – and characters like the Mayor and the Fisherman are not lead roles and are also gender flexible. Furthermore, book writer John August approved casting Zacky Price as Don Price's tom-boyish, nerdy sister with female pronouns. This decision would change the casting to 6 female, 5 male lead actors. 

[Jim] [Hoare]
    [Executive Vice President]
    [TRW]
    [New York] [NY]